Josh asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

Is it worth investing in Airbnb IPO?

I am a host with bnb and I am eligible to get in on their IPO that’s coming out soon, is $44-50 for a share a good price, over priced or what? I don’t know how to do my research, curious if it will be a good risk.

Investing in IPOs is stupid.  The insiders already have options at low set prices.  Insiders are the people who own that company, their management level employees and the people who funded the company and IPO.  If you are asking us about price, then it is obvious you are no more eligible to "get in on their IPO" than anyone else.  Saying "I don't know how to do my research"  is exactly the same as saying you don't know what you are doing.  Just stay the hell away.

• kswck2

I don't like IPO's only in that unless I can buy and sell the same day-after they bounce on the issue, and then drop dramatically. 

• It's a financial house of cards run by one of the least trustworthy people in an industry full of them. 

To even consider buying Airbnb, a proper valuation needs to be made based on where the business is right now in terms of sales and how they intend to grow the business with the money raised. I personally would avoid Airbnb. Travel related businesses are losing money right now. In addition, Airbnb has a lot of legal problems with local governments and apartment councils for accepting listings in buildings that are not supposed to have any rentals. This could easily be another unprofitable scrap heap like Uber.      

The thing about IPOs is smallfrys rarely know in advance how in demand the IPO will be.

Its sort of like flipping a coin.

You can read the prospectus but Im guessing you will not have the first clue how to process the information or value the company.

• G

Brand names when IPO are almost always under priced. They don't want to look embarrassed on Bloomberg and WSJ if they don't sell out. They are also almost unavailable to us normal investors to purchase.

• Steve

When a company has their IPO, no one knows if they are making money or not. The company has yet to report their earnings. No company reports earnings unless they are on a stock exchange. Airbnb will one day have to report their earnings. You have to ask yourself if you think that many people will have an interest in Airbnb. They probably will. Ive seen a good number of IPOs. What very well could happen and has in many cases where an IPO is hot is that for a few days, it jumps in value. Maybe 30-50%. I think that around that time maybe you should sell and take your gains. It will soon cool off and dip in value some. If you are still interested in owning the stock, you could buy in when its cheaper. I have no idea if it will soon be around $50 again, but Im just going on what Ive seen in the past with popular IPOs.I think it will probably make some money for you if you play it during its first run up. If it will make you feel better, search for how past popular IPOs did. Good luck to you.