Anonymous

Leaving work because of coworkers?

I am on a leave of absence for a month now because I don't want to see my coworkers. One of them is really annoying and childish and cannot separate from a girl she works with. She laughs randomly when she sees me, and it's killing me softly. Am I the loser because I'm the one who's losing money and they aren't? I do enjoy the job.

Taking a leave of absence is a better choice than quitting. Can you transfer out of the department instead? Does your job have a Union? If you aren't in a gov't job and haven't those options, then while you are on leave you may want to find employment elsewhere. Otherwise, you really can't control the behavior of other people, but you can control your response to them. It's about controlling your emotions in this situation. They are behaving immaturely no doubt. If you are in a gov't  job position, don't give it up under any circumstance whatsoever. Things do change and they will not be a thorn in your side forever.

• Jane

Your co-worker's behaviour hurts you so much that you cannot work alongside her. Can you imagine that her life is totally separate from yours, that her concerns are part of a life that you need not understand, and that these matters are outside your sphere?

Consider the boundaries between yourself and others, consider a range of options other than LEAVING  the situation.

Will withdrawing will change anything? Are you likely to have to live with similar situations in the future? If so, will you always choose to leave?

It's easy to tell you not to pay attention to these immature, childish people, but that's harder than it may seem. Still, that's exactly what you have to do.  They are trying to be mean and they are succeeding because you are allowing them to. You can only be bothered by those you ALLOW to bother you. You'd rather lose money, stop working and let them have their way in the workplace than stand up for yourself or be better than they are. I can't tell you what you ought to do--but I do know you are letting this happen TO YOU. Is that how you think you should spend your time, emotional happiness and effort?  Or do you think that maybe it's time to simply go back to work and laugh RIGHT BACK AT THEM for their ridiculous behavior?  It's your choice. 

Everyone's being way too harsh, you're not a loser, just a sensitive soul.

Personally I'd get a new job, taking leave because of this person isn't helping and if you do go back it will only give them another reason not to like you, if this is the case.

You spend something like 80% of your life at work, so you need to enjoy it and feel comfortable there.

Have you tried talking to her and seeing what her problem is?

If you've been out of work for a month due to being unable to get along with co-workers and have lost a month's pay in the process you're definitely the loser. I wouldn't be too surprised if and when you decide to return to work you'll find the job is no longer available..

• Judy

yes, sorry, but you're the loser here.

• n2mama

Yes, you are a loser to have such insecurities that you can’t set your personal feelings aside and suck it up and do a job you enjoy because of a couple of people. I’m pretty sure you had asked questions about taking the leave of absence because you also thought it would “punish” your coworkers by them having to pick up the slack while you’re out. Either way, a very poor, immature, and unprofessional response. If you have a problem with your coworkers you take it to the boss or HR. 

• ?

Sorry, but that's a really stupid reason to take a leave of absence. You need to talk to a therapist to find out why this bothers you so much. You can't control your co-workers behavior, only your reaction to it. This makes you sound very weak.

• ?

If you can't get along with your co workers, you may want to think about getting another job. You're the loser because you can't do that. 

Going on a leave of absence isn't going to change their behavior. Talking to your boss about their behavior may do some thing. There's a few co workers that I don't like at my job either, they're lazy and careless. I like my job too, so I go to work, do my job and I don't talk to the people I don't like. 

• ?

I agree with Mark. 

at my job we don't like certain people and like you we all hate this 1 girl BUT for good reasons. 1. she doesn't clean up her mess 2. she goes home early and comes to work whenever she wants. 3. calls in sick constantly or makes up excuses. 4. she is very rude. 

we don't care if she comes in problem is if you dont want to work then quit. yea we talk bad about her but for those very reasons not because of her in general. in my field you earn your respect by working hard and helping others as are job requires hard labor, long hours, and LOTS of team work. you cannot handle the labor or team work part we don't respect people like that. why do we have to work harder just for her to get a pay check? gotta pull your own weight. need help ask. etc..

like mark said though go to work, do your job, fk those people. if i were you i'd piss um off by showing up to work and working harder then they do. don't rely on them make them rely on u.