1996 Chevrolet C/K pickup when i turn key on to check fuel pressure it quickly drop from 62psi to 15psi why?

when the engine is running it have 55psi is there a problem with the fuel system? how do i fix the pressure drop?

Update:

can i still drive the pickup like it is? what is the normal psi reading range on this pickup?

Update 2:

Yes i do have the Vortec engine the systems go down to 55psi when engine idling can i still drive the pickup? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • fuzzy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That is normal for just key on fuel pump priming. The bad part is if you have the Vortec engine with the "spider" fuel injection manifold, these systems don't like going below 50psi (more GM engineering) 

• 2 months ago

If you're just turning the key to the ON position to test the fuel pump pressure the PCM shuts off the fuel pump relay in 10 seconds if the motor is not running. It does sound like the fuel pump check valve is bad though. The fuel lines should stay pressurized when the fuel pump gets shut off.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

yeah sounds like an issue with the regulator or maybe the check-valve in the fuel pump.

Source(s): i have no idea what i'm talking about
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.