What would be going through your head? ?

I am writing a small collection of short stories. I just need some insight. 

The story I am writing next is about a man who specializes in husband's who want their wives to disappear. I will cover scenarios throughout the story. 

To avoid leaving evidence the woman are all killed the same way. They are strapped into a chair and a plastic bag is secured over their head and they are left to suffocate to death.

What would you be thinking if you were in the chair and your head was being bagged up. You have already been told your husband wanted you gone 

Thank you for any input 

First. A few of the "mistakes" so far were accidental. I know that women is plural for woman.

Second. The killer suffocates the women because its clean. No blood to clean up. 

Third. I have never seen/read a book about this topic. I don't feel it's cliche.

Fourth. I doubt many writers can describe the feeling of suffocating without doing research.(That's what this is).

Fifth. Do any of you realize that authors spend a large amount of time researching a topic before writing it a book/novel?

Can I please just get some advice on the topic I ask about? I'll pass on the criticism. Why does everyone always do that?

Don't write junk like that.  You'll never learn anything.  Write about one hundred short stories over the next year.  Each one to four pages by hand.    Write stories about you and your experiences - about people and things you know.  After a year, you might see a larger story in that pile.  Then you can add fiction.

You are writing a story. The one resource all good writers have is their own imagination. If you can't imagine what these women might be feeling and thinking, don't write this story. Write a different one in which your imagination CAN help you.

PS Killing someone is relatively easy, compared with getting rid of the body. THAT will be your killer's main challenge.

Can you get any more cliche about it?   Really,  that's been done to death in short stories,  novels and tv shows. 

• Tina

That seems a quite horrifically sadistic way of killing someone (does he stand and watch) and doesn't even have the advantage of not leaving marks on the body or traces on the chair (think about it.)

It really doesn't make sense. Of course it would leave evidence.

• Marli

Read the last paragraph of Andrew's answer.

Have you never felt panic? Have you never imagined you were drowning or suffocating? If you can't imagine it, you can't write about it.

You said you are writing a short story about a man who kills unwanted wives. Why then do you want to leave his point of view to describe what his victims feel?

You used the name "Stacey", which the newspaper recently informed me is an involuntary celibate's code for "sexy woman". If you are a person named Stacey, I apologize for thinking you are an incel.  If you are an incel, give up your fantasy of killing women. One of you ruined the lives of at least 24 people who did him no harm.  Only your small group will read about that sort of serial killer with fellow feeling.

• Andrew

Strapping a woman to a chair and placing a plastic bag over her head will almost certainly kill her, but it will hardly make her disappear. What happens to the body? When someone goes missing - even if the police suspect that the person may have been murdered, without evidence the authorities would be forced to proceed as if it were a case of a missing person. Why would anybody be willing to pay someone to kill their spouse without having a solid plan in place for what happens afterwards? 

Firstly, hit men don't work for free, and they probably don't come cheap either. How are these men able to pay the extortionate fees without leaving a money trail? It wouldn't take very long for the police to work out that the guy's bank accounts are $25,000 or $50,000 lighter. 

Secondly, people who hire a contract killer to murder their spouse generally have one of two motives - collecting on a life insurance policy/inheriting that person's assets or to run off with somebody else. This is why so few of these idiots ever get away with it. Life insurance policies don't pay out unless there's confirmation that the person is actually deceased. Without a body, the beneficiary would likely have to wait to have the person declared legally dead before collecting the money - in most developed countries that could take up to 7 years, possibly longer. And if the guy thinks he's just going to start shacking up with his mistress while the investigation into the wife's disappearance is in full swing, that's going to invite quite a bit of scrutiny, and the authorities would likely be all the more relentless in finding some shred of evidence that might provide some hint of proof that the guy was involved in some way. 

Lastly, normal people are statistically really bad at getting away with murder. Murdering someone in London 125 years ago is a far cry from attempting to kill somebody and get away with it today. The husband would have needed to contact the hit man to solicit his services, then it's likely they would have to have a second meeting so that the husband could lay out the details of where to find his wife and when. Then of course there's the money trail. Most normal, everyday people - even those depraved enough to have someone killed, are far too witless to get away with something like that without leaving some evidence somewhere - a phone call, a bank withdrawal, etc. Not to mention that the idiot would never beat the lie detector test they would administer within hours of his wife going missing, and even if he were to do that, he would have a hard time beating subsequent tests. 

Regarding your question about how a victim would feel in that situation, I think we're all programmed to feel exactly the same way. Panic stricken, we'd all be in survival mode, struggling against our restraints, fighting for air. It would be indescribably horrible. I don't envy you writing something awful like that. That sort of thing is not at all what I like to read about, much less to write. 

• Cogito

First, learn better English.  I don't mean to be rude, but the plural of husband is husbands - no apostrophe. And the plural of woman is women.

My other thought is that having all the women murdered in the same way is going to be really boring.  Wouldn't divorce be easier?

The car windshield...