My mother has a stone in her gallbladder. Is it better to remove the gallbladder with an operation or not?

Favorite Answer

It depends on the situation. If your mother is not experiencing symptoms and is asymptomatic then it is not necessary. If this is your mothers first gallstone then it can also not be required, but if your mother experiences frequent gallstones and it causes blockage of the duct then an operation could be required.

I'd ask a doctor, most people develop gallstones as they age but if its causing issues it should be removed.

yes a key hole laparascope operation

will be the best

If she is not feeling any pain then no! I am going to be speaking with a surgeon again soon about my gullbladder. She told me if you are not feeling any pain then don't get any surgeries, and she is not the only surgeon who I spoke with. I spoke with other Surgeons, and Doctors who said the exact same thing about other parts of the body.

I had surgeries in my past, and I know what it's like to be operated on. If pain becomes an issue then I believe this is when surgery should happen.

• y

That is up to the docs, they see the stone, the age, the damage, the risk factors and such. They are the one who would know if the stone should just be removed or if the entire thing needs to be pulled. 

The stone, bad gallbladder, can all be very very painful.  Removal doesn't limit diet or anything, no restrictions nor complications for the vast majority.

She can live OK without her gall bladder.

Ask doctors, not random people on the internets 

It is better to do what doctors tell her to do. If she needs a second or third opinion, get them from doctors, not teenagers on YA.

It would be better but impossible to remove the gallbladder without an operation.