Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

How are universities able to charge full price for tuition when you no longer even go to the building?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You're paying for the INSTRUCTION, not the campus experience.  

• 2 months ago

Your tuition isn't paying for access to the buildings. It pays for the access to the KNOWLEDGE and classes you can take, no matter where those are or how they're imparted. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The taxpayers (and donors) paid for the buildings. Students pay (a large part of) the salaries of professors.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Do you have things in there or have a lease? 

If so that prevents it from being rented out to somebody else. Here's something to consider: 

Get your things out of there & also find another student to take over your lease for whatever you're paying & offer to pay for any paperwork that might have to be done.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

they charge you for the coarse , if you turn up for it is your choice , that way they get paid ..

• 2 months ago

Because the universities are providing the hardware and software and technical support and maintaining the buildings and paying the wages and salaries of the staff and faculty that makes it possible for you to take classes online. There is technology fee for every class that requires computer support. Yes, most universities and colleges in the USA including private colleges and universities do get money from the federal government. 

Don't assume faculty are as well paid as you probably think they are. I was a university faculty dependent and saw may father's pay checks and could compare it to my pay checks when I had a college work study job at Tulane before automatic deposit was available. 

• 2 months ago

It’s not so bad at public schools because their tuition is heavily subsidized and they don’t charge for a profit, so the in person classes would be at a loss if not for taxpayer dollars. But if you are paying anything more than a couple thousand for a semester at a private university you are getting ripped off. Paying for the instruction from experts is going to cost a bit, licenses for software are expensive, plus IT and some administration to make sure it all runs smoothly. But the cost of real estate and all the excessive administrative nonsense is what inflates the costs beyond what is reasonable. 

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are still expenses to be covered.  All University employees are still working.  Faculty are still teaching (and as someone doing it, I can tell you that teaching online is far more difficult than teaching in person - I cannot wait to be back in the classroom).  Buildings are still open for employees, so utilities still have to be paid.  Technology costs increase at times like this - they have had to upgrade devices and servers, increase tech support, etc. There are likely monthly payments being made on the buildings and property, and that must continue.

Many universities are waiving fees for things that students can't utilize at this time, such as recreation centers.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Lecturers are still being paid.

• John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Even though most students are not using the buildings at the current time, the mortgages on those facilities must still be paid. Failure to pay would result in foreclosure on the buildings.  That would mean the colleges would have no facilities for students after the pandemic passes. Similarly, despite teaching remotely instead of in the classroom, the professors must still be paid. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.