Shark
Lv 7
Shark asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

do dogs need a coat in cold weather?

I see lots of people walking their dogs with actual clothes like humans I think this is animal abuse

18 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

well you walk around in winter without a coat then tell us ..

• 3 months ago

Depends on the dog and how cold it is.

A husky doesnt need a coat..   A hairless dog or one with a thin coat (like a greyhound or a pit bull) may need a coat as the temps outside drop.

Domestic dogs were bred to be kept indoors and many do not have coats that protect them from harsh elements.   A coat to wear while outside is far from "animal abuse"..

They even make coats for horses and other domestic farm animals for when the weather gets severe for Christ's sake!

• 3 months ago

I think it is pathetic along with people who use the phrase "fur babies". It's a dog not a baby and dogs are pretty great as they are. That should be respected. If you want a baby go and have one. Is it dog abuse? No not really. Dogs love you no matter what you do to them and they have no concept of how stupid it makes them look.

EDIT: I assume you mean people who dress dogs up in dresses and crap like that not people who have breeds that feel the cold and wear a dog coat?

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You are correct. Putting on clothes on dogs is animal abuse. They already have their own coat. They don't need another one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Dogs like warmth in the winter just like humans do. They prefer to live in a warm shelter as opposed to a cold doghouse, garage, porch, barn. The owner that clothes their dog in cold weather is far from an abuser of animals.

• 3 months ago

It depends on the breed, but no, it's not abuse.

Sometimes dogs need a coat when it's cold in order to keep them warm, especially if they're a breed which feels the cold more due to having thinner fur and little body fat, like a Chinese crested, doberman, greyhound or whippet. In that case, it would be abuse by not taking the necessary steps to keep them warm. It's like a parent giving their child a coat when it's cold.

The problem is indeed when people dress their dogs up in daft clothes as you mentioned, but that's being silly more than abusing an animal. However, in some cases, it may be for the animal's own good. For example a male dog may be wearing a pair of shorts over their back end if they've recently been castrated, so that they will leave stitching alone, and cannot be licking, sucking or chewing at the wound.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months ago

I think your thinker is off kilter.  It is not abuse, they don't want their dogs to get cold.  Inside/outside dogs don't put on a heavy coat cause the heat inside the home is warm, so they throw their coats all yr long & don't have enough fur to keep them warm.  Owners are trying to be good to their dogs & not let them get so cold they get sick.

• 3 months ago

My dog is short hair. If it’s below 20 during the day or snowing, he’s wearing a coat during his walk. It would be animal abuse to allow him to get frostbite or hypothermia. 

• 3 months ago

Dogs like chihuahuas, Chinese Crested, NEEDS a coat when it is cold! How the hell is that animal abuse? Is it child abuse for putting a winter coat made for babies ON a baby???

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

dogs with thinner coats need a jacket

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.