Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Can you enter a military base riding a bicycle?

I’m a civilian, and I don’t have any family on this base, but there’s this job open to civilians on base. I just wanna know will they let me though or do I need a vehicle?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I would think if you have a valid ID and an appointment or reason to be there, it wouldn’t matter.  

You can present your visitor's pass to the gate guard on your way in. You will need to go to the visitor center before the gate and get the pass.

• Cee

Of course, as long as you belong there.

You CAN enter on foot with proper ID. That said, if you have to ask, I suspect getting the job is unlikely.

Yes i used to ride a Bicycle to work every day

• James

yes. dismount near the sentry and walk to him with ID out. easy.

As long as you have a proper pass you can enter riding a bicycle.

They probably would prefer it over a vehicle.

I work on a military base.  If you don't have a base pass, you will have to stop at the visitors' office, and get a pass.  You would need to provide proof of identity.  This can be tricky in states that don't have "Real ID" driver's licenses, but I'm not sure if that's in effect yet.  

Anyway, you would submit your documents, say where you are going (make sure the you know the building number), and possibly the name of the person you are interviewing with.  Some bases have stricter requirements, for instance, it's pretty easy to get on the base at Kings Bay GA, but if you want to go where the nuclear submarines are, it's yet another gate, with more stringent requirements. 

• ?

If you are asking about after you are hired, then probably yes.  It really comes down to whether or not you can safely ride a bike on the road.  

There is no blanket DOD rule on riding a bike through a gate.  Those rules are set at the local level.  I don't recall any base that I was at prohibiting bikes coming on base. 

Like Mrsjvb said, you might be able to use a pedestrian ECP if there is one.

Keep in mind that most bases have long lines to get on base at rush hour in the morning.  If you have to fish your ID out of wherever you keep it when you come up to the gate, you're going to annoy the other drivers waiting behind you.  If there is no shoulder that you can ride on, you are really going to piss off drivers stuck behind you putzing along at 15mph once you get past the gate.  

• Mrsjvb

As long as you have the correct credentials/ ID that grants you access, yes.

You may even be allowed to use a pedestrian gate if it isn’t the turnstile version 

I believe you will need a pass or other permission to enter.  A few years ago, Pendleton regularly allowed cyclists to pass through, but they had to register in advance online, and ID was matched against each one going through.  I believe they have since discontinued the practice, since a safe alternative route is now available.

Remember that you hare not allowed to take pictures on base.

Of course, if they invited civilians to apply on base, then maybe you can just show ID and tell the gate guard that you're interested in the (whatever was advertised) job.