pops out of gear when I go to speed up and switch gears?

90 honda crx dx model 5 speed. Whenever I go to speed up and shift gears too fast it acts like I pushed in the clutch or something. It's weird I can shift normally just fine but If I am giving it some gas to pass a another vehicle or I down shift a little bit so that I can speed up quicker its almost like it pops into neutral or something. Just got the car, been working out the bugs and then it started doing this. Not a big deal, as it runs and drives otherwise, but if you can help...it would be appreciated. Thanks. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I had this on a car just after I bought it. The garage ( a big U.K. chain for used cars) tried a couple of times to fix it but in the end it needed a new gear box. However, it did take a letter to the CEO before they agreed to stop messing around and just replace the whole gearbox.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Just got the car? 

I think the previous owner just sold his car, to get out of replacing the clutch! 

Have a transmission shop or mechanic check your clutch.

• 3 months ago

The clutch may be bad and is slipping.

• 3 months ago

The transmission could be gone (most likely) but it could also be an adjustment on the shift linkage

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Purge it... ...

• Bill
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

I'm not sure what you mean by downshift a little bit.  If it's in gear, (and foot off the clutch), and you open the throttle and the engine speeds up but the car doesn't, the most likely problem is a slipping clutch.  

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Gearbox is phucked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.