Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 2 months ago

When traveling abroad through a school program, What type of medical information do universities require be reported?

When I fill out travel abroad forms, they have questions like “do you have any of the below listed conditions “ which range from ADHD to diabetes, and have a spot for “other”.  Does this information need to be disclosed or only disclosed if the student feels necessary. 

generally, any communicable diseases and all accidents

Check both specific requirements of the university AND general requirements of the country's gov't for student visa.

• drip

It should say on the form as if the information is required or optional.  Through a school program, ask your school. Get facts direct form the source. 

My daughter did a study aboard program form the US to the UK and disclosed she has asthma. It was for her own safety. 

I don't understand the question. Universities usually require you to have insurance. But most of the countries you might go to have universal coverage. I know people who had medical problems when on study abroad programs. THey got treated for practically nothing- one had her appendix out, one had a broken leg, one had a rare tumor removed. I don't think any of this was reported to the university- medical information is usually private. 

whatever you think they need to know