Gabita asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 2 months ago

Acupuncture?

I would like to try acupuncture for my back pain but I'm terrified of those big acupuncture needles, especially since I also had negative experiences with painful vaccines and blood draws!

Do you have ANY PROOFS that acupuncture is a bit more pleasant than a vaccine?

Invest in a TENS unit.  They are worth their weight in gold and will pay for themselves over a short time.  I was going to the Chiropractor and at $50 a pop for a TENS treatment twice a week, my unit has paid for itself 100 times over already.

Try a Tens machine, it works for me :)

it did not work for me..................

• hart

grains and alcohol creates back pain

Sorry Gary, you are wrong.  Millions of people have found relief through acupuncture.  I am one of them.  It is most effective on nerve pain.  I used acupuncture for my trigeminal neuralgia, a very painful condition.  It worked for me.  It can help with back pain, depending on the cause.  The needles are very small as others have pointed out.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Actually Gary, I am a scientist, a chemist in industry.  Millions of anecdotes can't be wrong.  Maybe it is placebo effect.  Maybe a skilled acupuncturist "tricks" his patients into thinking they are feeling better.  Regardless, they DO feel better- without drugs or surgery or physical therapy.  Or perhaps you would like to deny that reality.

I have had acupuncture a quite a few times.  I can tell you that acupuncture needles are very fine, much finer than those used in injections.  Even thinner than intradermal needles used for insulin.

So, a lot of times you don't feel a thing when a needle goes in. Sometimes you do though, and there are certain points that you feel more.  Most acupuncturists will then ask you to purse your lips and blow, and they put it in while you blow. And you don't feel it.  This would work for vaccinations too, but nurses and MDs don't seem to know the technique.  

The needles are left in for a few minutes, although you don't feel them during this time, since they are not moving.  Then they are removed one by one, which does not hurt.  

If you really have a phobia of needles, maybe you can't get acupuncture.  But if it's only the sore arms and hematomas that bother you, acupuncture should be okay.

-- Most acupuncture needles are very thin and you hardly feel them entering you or being in you.

--  Some acupuncture needles can be thicker, and these are often used with heat treatment. That can be a bit uncomfortable, but bearable.

--  Acupuncture often works better than Western medicine, including tablets or injections. I have had both Western treatment and acupuncture and found the acupuncture worked better and longer for pain management, and other ailments.

--  Often the acupuncture is combined with other forms of Chinese medicine -- moxibustion, heat on the needles, massage, rubbing the skin with a scrapper and an ointment or herbal medicines etc.

--  With acupuncture it is often said to be 50% belief in it working and 50% the actual treatment.

Depending on where you are having acupuncture done, the experience can be beneficial with an open mind. The needles themselves are intimidating but hardly do you feel the pain, it hurts less than a mosquito bite. If you forgo acupuncture, to deal with back pain try lidocaine gel which is over the counter. 

• Tavy

They are not big, they are small and very fine.

Acupuncture needles aren't big needles. They're very tiny, and much, much smaller than a hypodermic syringe. I've had acupuncture many times, and 99% of the time you don't feel the needle at all. Occasionally if it's in an odd place, you'll feel it, but they don't hurt.