Piano or ukulele?

Im a beginner in music and never have played an instrument I would love to learn one but which instrument would you recommend for beginners. 

Favorite Answer

I would recommend you learn piano because piano can be used to play in every type of song, or music.  The ukulele is not often used.  But do chose the one which calls to your heart.  That is the most important thing. 

That would depend on how much work you want to put into learning.  A ukulele would be easier to learn in a hurry, rather than a piano. 

Ukulele is fun and easy to learn. You can learn four chords to strum in a few minutes and sing along with it. Then you learn more complicated tunes to strum and sing. Notes come later. 

Or, you can get a music keyboard, not a piano. Pianos are big and heavy and only sound like pianos, so buy a music keyboard that is cheaper, and you can make it sound like other instruments and they have rhythms you can play along to. Keyboards are much more complicated to lean but you can do a lot with them as you progress. 

Look at beginner lessons on Youtube for both instruments to see how they work. Then go to a music shop if they are open where you are and get someone there to show you. 

I think ukulele is better to start on though. 

Source(s): I play both instruments

I would go with the piano.

• Tony B

I would say that you should only begin learning to play an instrument if you sort of feel that you “have to”: you have (and I hate using this silly word) a passion for learning it.

Learn as much as you can about these instruments (they could hardly be more different), see and hear them played, look at the prices and at what's involved in learning. Be aware that learning any instrument requires patience, time and determination. Then choose the one that YOU really feel you want to learn.

Many people take piano lessons when they are very young, without any prior musical knowledge.  You have to decide what you really want.