Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Italians, are you white?

I'm born and raised from Brooklyn, my dad's entire family is 100% Italian. I grew up in a pretty mixed neighborhood and I have lot of black friends. I have one older neighbor who always tells me that Italians aren't actually white, and that we deny our "blackness". I don't understand what he is talking about. Nobody else has ever thought I or my family was anything but white? Is there any truth to what he is saying? Any fellow Italians with an opinion?

I should mention my neighbor is an older black guy

• Louie

I think your neighbor is just trying to validate his own black heritage by including Italians. By studying history he may be half right, which I seriously doubt he has, especially during Roman times they invaded all of Western & Southern Europe & probably integrated with the local populations. Consequently, today just about everyone has mixed blood. The Moors from Northern Africa also invaded Southern Europe & intermingled with the locals. I really don't care what "color" Italians are I just know we all love their food & the countless contributions they have made to American & world history.  mho

It depends on how you define "white", which to me is a useless exercise.

I've never heard anybody refer to Italians as being black, well, except for now this guy. So why don't you just ask your neighbor what he means? I mean, since he's the one who is saying this.

Races of humans don't really exist, so racists can "consider" whatever they like.

At some points in time,  Jews, Greeks, Irish and Italians were  considered "non-white" by USA-racists

Skincolourwise, that's bullcrap

YOU ARE WHITE Both culturally and genetically.

The old adage " misery . loves company"  People who are unhappy may get some consolation from knowing that others are unhappy too.

Ancient Rome did get some slaves from Africa, so modern Italians could have a bit of African ancestry, but I suspect he's just yanking your chains

Italians are 'Mediterranean'.

• Maxi

Your question has nothing at all to do with this category which is about researching family history..........

Genetic Europeans are white, Italy is in Europe HOWEVER Italians exactly like Americans can be any skin shade

Americans are very phucked-up about race.That old dude is channelling that, and so are you.

Put it this way. The roots of western civilisation are in Greece and Rome. What does that tell you?

I think I know what hes trying to say. Hes probably implying that you arent white.. Like northern ethnicity with like.. Blonde hair blue eyes type.. Their fam would be like other norther ones and maybe eastern. And western euorpe to. If you don't look like them.. Then he's probably trying to say.. Whatever.. Maybe you look like some of Italians neighboring communities. Like india and Turkish I think is right there. And for hundreds of years the locals have mixed that you wouldnt get in the northern areas. They are less diverse and more picky. Because if you are different and a minority and not part of the pack. Youd be a outcast and weak. Then if you were to fit in and be strong with their help. Like people theyd favor would have most resources and stuff like that. Just like the modern day new york types are super diverse areas. So others would get treated baf and they would try to surpress ylu and likley to hate whites. And have a bunch of negative sterotypes and what not. Like most people have ablit each other. Are the Italians white? In my opinion? Sure... Its possible.. Jist unlikely.. Due to how diverse the areas are.. Different from northern though. Or maybe they started off as similar then changed with different cultures and stuff like that. I'm sure they would look pretty similar to otger europeans unless they look like neighboring unwhite charecteristics. Of course thats just my opinion though Idk someone else might think different. Not really a big deal to most people nowadays. Oh yeah.. And being so close to Africa.. And Spain.. Thats probably what he was talkijg about. Some modern day people from that area could probably either look white/European or maybe european/black or something hes trying to say. Because Spain is also a neighbor community to London and Europe.. So..