Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

What can happen if I plagiarize my friends paper in high school?

So you should know that Covid has ruined life in general. I’m doing online school and my friend sent me his paper. I was going to reword it but instead I just handed it in. I know stupid me. She caught and just said “this exactly sounds like that last paper I read” now I don’t know what to do. Can someone help me out on what I should do

• L

You will get caught and fail.  Remember, your teacher reads ALL student's papers.

• Sarah

Your teacher will probably simply give you a 0 on the paper. If you were in college, there's a high chance that you would be banned from the college, even for simpler plagarism. It sounds like you simply gave the teacher exactly what your friend wrote. In college, even if you don't just copy a paper and you cite your sources, if you don't give proper quoting or otherwise credit the author, you can get a bad grade and face suspension. I don't know what year of high school you are in (or even if you are in high school) but you need to work hard on your next paper to earn the teacher's trust back. 

Also, I admit covid is making life hard, but that is no excuse at all to plagarize, and if anything, is a better reason not to because there are fewer events to look forward to. And what if covid were used as an excuse for everything? What if frontline employees decided not to show up to work, or go to work but not do everything possible to save patients? What if oncologists used Covid as an excuse to not treat cancer patients? What if grocery store workers used Covid as an excuse to not show up for work? How would people stay alive (grocery workers sell food, so I guess that counts)? While your essay is not going to change the covid situation, you can't use covid (or much of anything) as an acceptable excuse to plagarize. 

What you should do is accept a punishment you get if you get one, along with a 0 on the paper (although you may be able to ask if you can redo it AND PROPERLY cite sources!!!), and whether you may or not, turn in your own work next time!

You get an F or ZERO on that paper. Nothing you can do.  Teacher knows there are people who are try to "float" on through the course.  They do not take kindly to passing you so they don't. It is that fast and happens in every class.  You get marked on YOUR EFFORT.  You put none in, you get nothing for it. If you were planning on college or uni. those marks will show up there and they will not accept you so you will have to suck sewage and be a low life instead of being a lawyer(and still be a low life)

You should know there is an app for identical works.(most likely a tool the teacher uses) That form of cheating will be conveyed to the other teachers...so they all watch you.

If you plagiarize your friendS' paper?  They all wrote one together?  You can bet a failing grade for the course if you keep that up.

There is nothing you can do apart from learning from your mistake. No doubt the school will apply some sanction to you. Which you deserve of course.

They could call the police unless you completely reword it. Use synonyms. Thatll help. 

• garry

nothing much just you and your friend or ex friend will have to see the head master so he kicks the right person out of school , thats all , something minor .

Sit back and wait for the axe to fall across your neck. There is nothing you can do. You probably are going to fail the assignment and this will go on your permanent school record, and universities take a very grim attitude toward plagiarists, no matter what grade you did it in, or what your reason was to do it. For the record, I am not sure what covid has to do with anything, the internet still works and you can still do your own research even if you have to stay home for school...

When we do wrong and get caught, we have two choices.

Figure out ways to lie and manipulate, and hope we “get away with it.”  That risks making a bad situation worse, plus it trains  ourselves to be liars and manipulators.  That leads to more serious problems down the road.

Or, realize you made one mistake.  Stop everything in its tracks by admitting what you did.  Take the failing grade or the scolding and it’s over.  And you train yourself to handle mistakes like an adult, and train yourself to avoid lying and manipulating.  That leads to some very rewarding things down the road.

Realize this will affect both you and your friend equally. You will be lucky to just get a F on the paper. And your friend will too.  

Fess up. Lying will just make it worse

And don’t blame this on COVID. Your friend was capable of writing the paper and all the other students in the class, you could have too.