Toaster oven vs. regular toaster..?

I might simply want to inquire as to whether you prefer cooking foods in a toaster oven or a regular toaster if you have both. I likewise might want to know which foods and why. Ultimately, are there foods that I can cook in a toaster that I presumably shouldn't cook in a regular toaster?

Favorite Answer

Toasters brown more evenly and consistently than toaster ovens. But a toaster oven can melt a cheese sandwich, broil a hamburger, or roast a 4-pound chicken. When they toast, though, the ovens take longer—2.5 to 9 minutes, vs. 1 to 4 minutes for a toaster on a medium setting—and leave stripes on the bread.

Toaster oven.  Toasters are good for sliced bread.  But few will buy sliced bread were I live. But rolls are ate. In the tropics. You buy a loaf of bread. Open it & 2 hours later it is turning fuzzy.  It is rare to even see toasters sold were I live.  As every area has a small bakery. You go there of a morning & buy rolls for breakfast. Normally still warm. & again for supper if you want bread. 

• Janet

Yes, there are foods you cook in a toaster oven that you cannot cook in a regular toaster. Things like open-faced melts (sandwiches with cheese on top).

But since toaster ovens usually don't have a timer on them, you have to stand there and keep an eye on it .. with a conventional toaster, it pops the toast up and stops cooking when the toast is done.  Very convenient.

As for open-faced melts .. you can make them under the broiler function of your kitchen range.  You don't need a toaster oven for that.

You can't cook in a toaster. All you can do is make toast. Your question, therefore, is silly. If you want to cook food rather than make toast, you will have to use a toaster oven.

• CB

Toasters make toast - the end.

Toaster ovens make crappy toast but can do limited cooking, heating, broiling.

• kswck2

If there is something on top of the toast, it would be rather silly to try and cook it in a toaster.

I can reheat my lasagna from last night in a toaster oven, can't do that in a toaster. 

I can slow cook my home made baked beans in the toaster oven, can't do that in the toaster. 

I can however make great toast in my toaster, can't really do that as fast and evenly in the toaster oven. (I thought I could get rid of the toaster when I got the toaster oven but after trying to do toast for a few times I think the toaster does a better job.)