Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Toaster oven vs. regular toaster..?

I might simply want to inquire as to whether you prefer cooking foods in a toaster oven or a regular toaster if you have both. I likewise might want to know which foods and why. Ultimately, are there foods that I can cook in a toaster that I presumably shouldn't cook in a regular toaster?

Favorite Answer

Toasters brown more evenly and consistently than toaster ovens. But a toaster oven can melt a cheese sandwich, broil a hamburger, or roast a 4-pound chicken. When they toast, though, the ovens take longer—2.5 to 9 minutes, vs. 1 to 4 minutes for a toaster on a medium setting—and leave stripes on the bread.

Toaster oven.  Toasters are good for sliced bread.  But few will buy sliced bread were I live. But rolls are ate. In the tropics. You buy a loaf of bread. Open it & 2 hours later it is turning fuzzy.  It is rare to even see toasters sold were I live.  As every area has a small bakery. You go there of a morning & buy rolls for breakfast. Normally still warm. & again for supper if you want bread. 

• Janet

Yes, there are foods you cook in a toaster oven that you cannot cook in a regular toaster. Things like open-faced melts (sandwiches with cheese on top).

But since toaster ovens usually don't have a timer on them, you have to stand there and keep an eye on it .. with a conventional toaster, it pops the toast up and stops cooking when the toast is done.  Very convenient.

As for open-faced melts .. you can make them under the broiler function of your kitchen range.  You don't need a toaster oven for that.

You can't cook in a toaster. All you can do is make toast. Your question, therefore, is silly. If you want to cook food rather than make toast, you will have to use a toaster oven.

• ?

Toasters make toast - the end.

Toaster ovens make crappy toast but can do limited cooking, heating, broiling.

• kswck2

If there is something on top of the toast, it would be rather silly to try and cook it in a toaster.

I can reheat my lasagna from last night in a toaster oven, can't do that in a toaster. 

I can slow cook my home made baked beans in the toaster oven, can't do that in the toaster. 

I can however make great toast in my toaster, can't really do that as fast and evenly in the toaster oven. (I thought I could get rid of the toaster when I got the toaster oven but after trying to do toast for a few times I think the toaster does a better job.)