How much does it cost to run a lap top and 2 monitors 8 hours a day, 5 days a week?

My roommate's bf has been working from our apartment for a call center for 6 months. It's time he start ponying up some utility money. I am not able to determine how much he has added to my bill historically because some weeks I was home a lot, and some weeks I worked full time. I am going to suggest $10 a week. Is this enough? 

Favorite Answer

OMG.  

The way you describe the situation, the roommate's bf is adding a whopping THREE DOLLARS to your monthly electricity bill.

2 monitors, average 35W each, 70W total for monitors

1 laptop, average power supply 65W (only the power supply uses power from the wall)

About 135W power fully on, operating 8 hours a day

1 KWH per day (roughly)

22 work days (roughly) each month

Average cost of electricity in US is currently $.136 /KWH

22X.136=  Just under $3.00 per month

Bluntly speaking, if he drinks your coffee, he probably owes you more (a LOT more) for the coffee he drinks than he does for miniscule amount of electricity he is using.

does he only use the electricity or is he also using your internet? Does he take a dump and flush the toilet? Sounds like he is using electric, water and sewer. But is it really about the money or you just dislike your roommates bf?

Tske power consumption of the devices, multiply by hours used then by the kw/h cost.  

• keerok

If he wasn't working there before, get your old bills and compare them with the new one. Tell him he should pay for the difference. 

It's way too much for just electricity. People did some calculating of the kilowatt hours last time you posted this. Reread their answers.

I think you'd be more justified in having him pay for part of your rent and a share of your internet, since he's there so much, even if he doesn't stay overnight. When a roommate you didn't agree to share your home with is there for forty hours a week, he owes rent and internet at a minimum, and maybe a share of total utilities.

It's not significant. You'd make out like a bandit if he paid $10 a month for electricity.