Ivo asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Can I exercise with braces?

I recently starting running and working out but in February I have a dentist appointment and I will be getting braces. So I have been wondering if the braces will affect my workout. Can I still do push ups and stuff while wearing braces? 

Yes, braces do nothing to affect your exercise abilities. They'll probably cause some discomfort in your mouth but that shouldn't stop you from working out. However, if your working out poses a risk to your teeth or mouth you should ask your orthodontist about whether you should continue that activity or get a mouth guard.

Do cut up all fruits and vegetables into bite size pieces and cut corn off of the cob. Don't chew on ice, lifesavers, hard candy, corn chips, pretzels or Fritos. Don't chew on pens, pencils or your fingernails.

• ?

of course you can do all of that as it won't have any effect

The majority of people with braces will be involved in some sort of physical activity — from organized athletics to exercise. Your braces won't stop you from playing sports, but you'll need to take some extra precautions during these activities. Always wear a mouth guard.

The braces are going in your mouth and have zero affect on the rest of your body, except maybe the occasional headache and sore jaw, so yes you can continue to exercise with braces. 

No, you can't exercise with braces.

That is why Dwayne Wade had to quit basketball when he had his braces.

Braces will not affect your ability to work out. For a day or two after you get them on, your mouth will be sore, and often again after an appointment when they're tightened or loosened, depending on what you need, but the pain is fully manageable and you can still do any kind of exercise.

They do recommend additional protection if your exercise includes a contact sport where you could take a hit to the mouth.