What was social media like during World War II?  Did either side censor what could be posted?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There was no social media in WWII. Both sides censored private letters and had laws about what could be publicly disclosed. People could write to national newspapers in the hope their letter would be published but it was up to the newspaper to apply its own publication standards and to to comply with the law.

• 4 weeks ago

The fact that you could even frame this question is very worrying to me!

How long ago do you think the internet was born and how long after that before companies like Facebook etc arose?

Here is a little example for you because you clearly know nothing about anything beyond the past 20 years, if that.

I was born in 1950.

At that time there were probably only two or three computers in the whole world, each the size of a 2 storey house and made up of valves which overheated regularly and had to be replaced.

Not a single silicon chip in sight!

In 1982 at University in West Australia, our Brand NEW mainframe computer had a whole 8MB of RAM for the whole campus.

Commodore 64 kb were the desktop computers and if you had a modem, you had to  lift your handset and place it on the modem for it to work!

Real time computing was still in its experimental stage and we were being taught to use punch cards to enter programs in machine language.

Around about 1990 I heard my first mention of Yahoo and a few years later along came Windows 95 to replace MS DOS and Windows 3.2 (which we all thought was wonderful but it was a "dog").

Social media really only developed properly after the advent of decent 16 bit and 32 bit operating systems evolved such as windows Xp and onwards.

So, to answer your question about "posting" items in WW 2?

You would have had more chance of getting to the moon and that was 24 years away!

• 1 month ago

I think there was no social media then. It was called mail or phone. News papers were careful with reporting though.

• 2 months ago

Social media as we know it today could not have come into existence before 1960, and in fact until TCP/IP (protocols) came into existence in the 1970s, modern Internet wasn't possible.

World War II ended in 1945.   At LEAST another 25 years had to pass before you could have ANYTHING on-line.  BUT... until the PC came into being in 1981, there was no user terminal for internet access.

Therefore, unfortunately your question makes you look a little bit uneducated.  Sorry, but it does.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

There was Ham Radio, TV (in it's infancy), broadcast radio and writing letters and slide rules ( the calculator of the time).

• 2 months ago

they simply dropped a bomb on the head

• Audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There was no social media during We 2.

• 2 months ago

I heard in America there was a group of young women who have men not serving in the war a white rose as a shaming tactic. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.