Are you only a fan of the original Star Trek series or, can you sit and watch all the others that's been produced over the years?

Favorite Answer

I can only watch the original

TOS is alright but the special effects are pretty bad

TNG created the franchise. 

DS9- is slow and boring. It's only ok if you need a star trek fix 

Voyager- good but not as good as it could have been

Enterprise- could have been great if not cut short

Discovery- A complete train wreck. I can't even watch it

• Alan

I have watched all of the series from beginning to end except for 

new shows that ended up on CBS ALL Access(Picard , Discovery) 

The only Star Trek series I can't watch is "Enterprise". It started off well, but instead of exploring the pre-Original Series story lines, they went off into that Xindi (sic) story line. I dropped out after a couple of seasons.

• F

They’re all good. I really like Darth Vader and Luke Skywriter.

I was born in the 1960s and watched TOS religiously.  I loved the movies, and looked forward to TNG - and was crushed by how awful Encounter at Farpoint was.  Could never stand to watch the show.  I watched a few seasons of DS9 and thought it was enjoyable, but lost interest.  Ditto for Voyager and Enterprise.  I think I watched maybe 1-2 seasons of each.  I did enjoy the JJ Abrams movies, but never bothered with the movies based upon TNG.  I've been watching season 1 of Discovery on CBS and am enjoying it so far.  I may make it further with Discovery than any of the other newer series.

As a younger fan who got into the series through my dad only a few years ago, I enjoy TOS and TNG and all the movies the most because those are his favorites and the ones we've watched together. It does start to feel less like the classic formula the further you go, but I still have really liked certain episodes of DS9 and Voyager I've seen. What's cool about the series for me is, there's 100s of books and 100s of comics that continue the stories during and after the show, so when I finally sit down to read them I can get even more interesting takes on the formula. Many of them are even writen by a comic writer I really like, Peter David. The only problem is, sometimes my attention span doesn't let me read books for very long unless I get really hooked. The first ever original star trek tos book hooked me, Spock must die, but there have been other times where I've tried to read others and given up quickly. 

• EddieJ

I was a fan of all the shows on broadcast TV.

I watched the first episode of "ST: Discovery" when it was on CBS and I wasn't impressed, and, even if I loved it, I would not have paid to sign up for CBSAA.

When, because of the pandemic, CBSAA announced a free month last spring, I started to sign up, but when it seemed that they still required me to give my credit card, I truncated the sign up.

I've been watching the first season of Discovery, now that it's been on CBS.  It's interesting but it's NOT enough for me to sign up for CBSAA to watch the subsequent seasons.  The spore drive seems like a ridiculous idea.

IMHO, Trek has gotten worse with every iteration.  TOS was the best and most pioneering.  TNG was a solid repitition of the formula, but lacked the originality and edge of the original.  DS9 was an attempt to do something a little different, but ultimately was just an even less competent rehashing of the formula.  Voyager was just repetitive garbage..and added the trend of fan service.  Take a really pretty woman and have her wear an impossible form hugging outfit so the teen boys can see every crevice.  Enterprise tried to shake stuff up by making a prequel, but wasn't any good and didn't have any stories to tell....but did have fan service.  

And that's where I stopped.

I can sometimes stomach Voyager when it doesn't get too much like a soap opera with costumes, and the first couple of seasons with DS9 were ok, but then crap went downhill and I can't watch any of it.  I tried to get through Scott Bakula Trek and couldn't.  Haven't bothered to subject myself to any of the other shows.

I liked both the original and TNG quite a bit.  Not sure if I just got too old to take the melodrama or what.  I don't like a lot of modern movies and tv, to be honest.  Too predictable and too formulaic, or just plain uninteresting, so maybe it is me and not the Star Trek iterations.