is 3 years of foreign language in high school enough?

my high school only offers 3 years of foreign language. also, i am not taking spanish for my sophomore year of high school because my school doesn’t have enough funds. so will colleges see that i am taking spanish in my senior year as well? because if they don’t see senior year it’ll seem as if i’ve only taken 2 years of foreign language.

Most colleges/universities require 2 years of a foreign language, while some prefer 3.  There may even be some that require 3.  So having 3 is plenty enough; they aren't going to penalize you for not being able to take more than that.  They will also see your current enrollments; when your high school sends your transcript, courses that are currently in progress will be listed.

• Deane

You are required to take 2 years and Spanish is not a requirement. Look into french, german, and latin. These are all approved languages you can take.

• MS

• keerok

College requirements for foreign languages vary but I think your's will do. No, they won't see it as two years only because they'll be looking at your entire scholastic record, not just your last year. The admissions committee is very thorough. They won't miss a thing.

• drip

Most universities require two years of the same foreign language.

There are some universities that require or prefer three years. 

I really haven’t heard of any that require four years.

Also, universities are not going to punish you because you didn’t take a class that was not available at your high school. 

Most applications ask you to list your senior year classes. 

i think its enough