Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Why does jealously exist?

Why do people become jealous of others? What is the psychological and biological reason behind jealousy? People should congratulate each other for their successes, not try to shame them for it

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

We are all still primal at heart my friend. Nothing more then slightly evolved apes. In the back of our minds we still wanna steal all the other apes bananas, beat them with sticks and take the girls...oh and maybe just throw our own poo. 

• 2 months ago

because the person never gets to experience what everyone else has. clearly you've never been through it to understand it

• 2 months ago

I've heard it said that jealousy is the strongest emotion that we humans have which would indicate that it's built into our very being.

While it's easy to envy others for whatever reason, it's far better all round just to accept the situation and be happy for them, in the hope that they would be happy for you if the situation were reversed.

• 2 months ago

Jealousy is a mental illness.  You want what everyone else has and you therefore can't see what you have already.  Many confuse jealousy with a controlling spouse.  How come nothing good ever happens to me and that person has more then me are all thoughts of jealousy and coveting your neighbors wife, house, life are sin and one of the ten commandments.  But I think have to realize they are a jealous person before they can help themselves and break the habit.  Just like alcoholics have to want to be healed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't know but it is a horrible thing when mixed with obsession! It has cost many people their lives from the beginning of history. Even in the Bible with Cain and Abel story! 

• 2 months ago

no it does not exist. Its just a wave on the ocean of consciosness

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's pathological.    

• 2 months ago

Jealously tells you what you want. Sometimes you can have what others have, and sometimes you cannot.  We are beings of self-interest, looking out for are own fulfillment of need and desires. These are biological in nature, but play out in social and psychology ways.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Jealousy is an emotion. Humans are innately insecure creatures and crave acceptance from others. If they see someone who they think is better than them or who gets more attention, then their insecurities take over and cause them to feel resentment towards that person.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

jealousy comes from low self esteem and lack of confidence. the jealous person is probably terrified of failure/assumes they will never have what the person they are jealous of has, even though they want it. and so hate them for it. they hate that the other person has what they want and so it is easier for them to be resentful and jealous rather than happy for them.

Source(s): psychology degree from cambridge, psychology professor.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.