Split floor joist?

Hello,

Can a split floor joist cause floorboards to pop?  There is a board that pops from time to time in my passage but I've screwed every board down securely and the popping is still there.  Could it be a split joist causing this?

Many thanks 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Popping?  Do you mean creaking?   That is floor nails  and wood that has shrunk.  So the nail heads do not hold down the wood anymore as it is thinner.  So the floor flexes 1/32 of an inch rubbing on the nail which is slightly rusty so you get a squeak. Bounce up and down on the exact spot.   Not much you can do.  If it is carpet you could hit the spot on the carpet with a hammer and it MIGHT SHUT UP.  It happens in dry weather more than on humid days.  IN OTHER WORDS, NORMAL.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would try to identify where the pop is (easier said than done) and lift the board(s) to check what is going on. Willy-nilly adding more and longer screws may cause an issue as you may hit pipework or cabling. 

• 1 month ago

If a joist was split, the symptom you describe would be the LEAST of your worries.

If you have the symptom you describe, you are not SECURELY screwing the boards.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sounds like you need more foundation. Pull some concrete blocks underneath the house and drive in some shims to build a support underneath the joist that pops. If you don't have any good shim material, find some cheap tableware and use the handles.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Maybe longer screws are needed for that board? If as you suspect the joist is split you can fill it with a two pack wood filler or screw a  piece of timber next to it and fix into that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.