Why are cars the only thing that we buy where the price is negotiated?

• Jay P

A lot of major purchases are negotiated.  Housing is another example...

Even a Hooker is "negotiable"..Get a Clue.

It's a tradition in car dealerships that started many years ago and is now difficult to break free of. Some dealers and car brands have tried with some success to establish a practice of fixed prices but it's nowhere near ubiquitous in the business.

• Scott

You must have never bought a home. Prices are negotiated for those as well.

Not true.  House prices are negotiated.  Used heavy equipment is negotiated.

ALL prices are ultimately negotiable.

Apart from major private purchases like homes and vehicles, and many low cost purchases on sites like eBay, other prices which appear to be fixed have also been negotiated at least once before you paid the shelf-edge price.

The breakfast oatmeal you might buy at a fixed price was bought as a commodity at an auction, any meat, fish or vegetables were also bought from suppliers by auction at wholesale markets, or by supermarkets haggling over prices long in advance in exchange for guaranteeing to buy everything a farmer produces exclusively for them.

World governments got in early with COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers to negotiate deals even before those vaccines were proven to be safe and effective. 

I haggled over the price of my last TV because I wanted to buy a lot of additional AV equipment and I saved quite a bit over what I would otherwise have paid if I’d sheepishly paid the ticket prices.

The tables and chairs at schools were also not sold to them at a fixed price. A salesperson tried to screw the school for the highest sum possible, and the school would have made counter offers possibly playing off one supplier against others.

Most “fixed prices” can be haggled over if you have the cojones to ask for a discount. But you need to ask the organ grinder and not the organ grinder’s monkey. Many suppliers will still call your bluff and refuse to haggle, and if you have no choice or no time to go elsewhere then you lose. But at least you tried, and the experience gives you more chance next time.

Evidently you haven't figured out yet that there re many more things people barter for. Guess you never bought a house, motorcycle, snowmobile, boat, or brain.

Not. Houses and other big ticket items. And in many cultures, lots more.

I got the previous owner of my house to agree to $5000 less than he wanted.

Never bought a house?   Believe me- I hate visiting countries where the price of everything needs to be negotiated.