Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Is it bad for my 21 month old son to be using a pacifier?

I tried to get him to use a pacifier when he was younger but he didn’t like it. I noticed him sucking on a nipple to his bottle so I decided to try to give him a pacifier that my friend gave me when he was first born and he LOVES it. He has had it in his mouth for a while now and he used to spit it out right away. Is it bad for him to use a pacifier at 21 months?

I don't think he should forced to have it against his will.

I believe 21 month babies normally suck them things however.

• Carrie

Take it from someone who at first said I would not let my kids have pacifiers. My daughter wouldn't console herself so we used one for her. She only used for naps/bedtime. When she was 3, she went to her first dental apt. her dentist told me if I did not take it from her right away, she may end up talking nasally because she sucked so hard it was narrowing the roof of her mouth can causing it to cave inward into her sinus cavity. Dang! I cut the nipples off that night. Took her 2 full nights and a couple boohoos early each night for about 4 more nights untils he finally gave up and helped me throw them all away. She still ended up with an overbite and needing braces when she was a teen. I advise stopping the paci just like the bottle about 1 yr to 18 months and not let it go further. So my advice would be to just get rid of it now. 

He is so far advanced in his attachment to a pacifier he will not stop until his peers ridicule him.

You'll hear a lot of myths about the use of pacifiers for children, more specifically, that they will effect the way your child's teeth grow but scientifically, that is highly unlikely until about age 3. I'd advise weaning him off of it around this age, even sucking his thumb would be better if it helps to soothe him although I'd make sure that he doesn't create a bad habit out if that as well.

• L

A pacifier is bad at all ages.  I raised three children and never even bought a pacifier.  Toss the thing in the garbage and move on.

No baby needs a pacifier. You start something like that now and you are going to have a fight on your hands when it comes time for him to go to preschool and beyond.

I never used a pacifier with my first child.

I weened my second child off the pacifier BEFORE the age of ONE.

It is BAD to give a child a pacifier at that age when the never used one before.  You are creating a new habit that wasn't there and you did it at about the age that you should be breaking that habit instead of starting it.

If the child was sucking on something - it was either a sign of teething issues, just a habit, or a sign they wanted more to drink.  As something that might be "just a habit", the nipple should have been taken away and NOTHING substituted for that habit.  

And - yes - it can cause issues with their teeth.  

• mokrie

If he has teeth coming in he will be bucktoothed. Teeth will stick out. 

Yes. Why would you give him that? There is absolutely no need for him to have a pacifier now when he never had one before.Take it off him and throw it away. 

I guess I'm not sure why you would introduce a pacifier to a child who is going on two years old when he's never used one previously? Bottles are for getting milk/nourishment, he doesn't need to keep sucking on it once it's empty which can cause tummy upset because he's basically sucking in air.