Jim asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

Do You Think E-Bikes Should Require Some Sort of License?

I am in NYC where a lot of people are using these things.  They don’t make much noise and come out of nowhere.  I was almost hit by one of them many times when they were coming around the corner.

Yes, and pedal cyclist doo.They are the most hair brained, incompetent, brainless form of life allowed out to infest our roads. 

As kids, we learnt how to ride our road with safety and consideration for others. Now someof the worst offender are the adult members who surely must have a death wish orb advanced senility for they obviously don't give a XXXX.

Yes and Insured My Mercedes Benz Parked and some idiot woman ran into it on a Push bike scratched the car and when i asked for Compensation she said UP YOUR

If I ever Find her and she parks her Bike I will Ru7n over it

I would prefer that they make some sort of noise.  They are just too quiet.  On a pedal bike you can hear the person grunting and groaning  and other bike noises which you do not hear on E Bikes.  Get some playing cards and stick it in the spokes so it is audible to walkers is PREFERRED.

• Fred

How are you going to license the 'starting out' 6 year old on his 20 inch wheeled bicycle?  

One small positive thing I can state about myself: When in college, on the crowded campus, I never hit anyone on my bicycle.  I did once have a student stutter and I had to turn so evasively to miss him I torqued the front wheel out of the font fork and still managed passing behind him on a planned crash to the grass surround sidewalk. He didn't stop to see if I was okay? 

Motorcycles are not the only vehicle where the operator goes into hypersensitivity. It's not a pedestrian's fault when he's focused in on an upcoming test walking around the campus and a bicyclist fully focused in on physical movement doesn't include a walker stuttering upon his approach.  

(I tightened the 'quick release' front axel far more securely after that event!)

Nope.

I remember being in NYC back in the early 90's when bicycle couriers were still really common - and they would regularly hit someone while riding down the sidewalk.

They would shout 'on your left', but the pedestrian would *step* to the left and get hit.  The great part was that an ad-hoc jury of New Yorkers would immediately convene to determine who was at fault.

If other people heard the bicyclist announce himself, they would usually side with them.

• adam

nope its still a bicycle .  Im from Brooklyn maybe you should be more aware of whats around you.

• Scott

How would a license change any of the things you mentioned? It wouldn't make them louder, and wouldn't make you pay attention to your surroundings.

"come out of nowhere" and that is what motorists say when they hit a motorbike – and we reply, "because you were not looking".

• Anton

Pedal bicycles are mostly quiet, can do over 25 mph, have been legal for over 100 years with no license required.  E-bikes are pedal bicycles with electric motors, also limited to 25 mph in NYC. 

Why would an E-bike require a license when a pedal bike does not?