Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is it tacky for a jobless woman to want her boyfriend (who ALWAYS pays for everything) to pay her back if he’s a few bucks short on one date?

Due to her supposed self-entitlement, they never go dutch on dates.  So if she ends up contributing something, it was last minute due to him being only a dollar or two short.  Although, he’s not financially struggling, and therefore has no problem paying her back.  But I’m just asking because of the principle of the matter, as she obviously doesn’t feel that the future dates he’ll be paying 100% for, will be a good substitution for the $2 she wants back.  

Also, let’s say the following happened:

While they’re in his car, waiting for her 12-year-old brother’s bus to arrive for school, her boyfriend accidentally says something X-rated to her, which her brother clearly heard from the back seat. She then calls her mother to tell her what happened, and then gets off the phone and says, “My mom pays me to take my little brother to school, but she’s docking my pay because of the dirty talk he heard thanks to you! You owe me money!” Was she in the wrong for that, or is she entitled to always get her money back from her boyfriend, especially in the event that his carelessness regarding a minor in the car, caused his girlfriend to get her pay docked.

• ?

I have two words for you...

GROW UP. 

You actually told mommy on your boyfriend? LoL

You are too young and way too immature to have a boyfriend.

Far fetched and ridiculous. 

If you're the boyfriend, why are you allowing this to happen?  There should be clear rules about who's paying for dinner.  If anything, she owes you money.  If your the girlfriend, put on your big girl pants and start paying for your share.

• Cogito

She sounds like a grasping, entitled, lazy, selfish nightmare.

If this is YOU, you need to get real and have a good think about your attitude.

If you're the boyfriend - ditch her!

he should be paying for it and not her

She CALLED HER MOTHER to complain about something her boyfriend said?

She's crazy. And if the boyfriend stays with her despite her irrational and stingy behaviour, he's crazy too.

She's not jobless; she gets paid to take her brother to school.

Get out now before she gets access to your paycheck and bank account. You'll never build anything or get anywhere with this parasite. Maybe her mother never said that. Those who survive by leeching off others are really good at lying and manipulating.

• Foofa

It's tacky for her to not offer to pay half for every date. This guy is a chump. 

I really dont even know where to start with this whole situation.  Is she seriously that worried about $2?  Unless it came from someone else's money she was holding on to, it's really in poor taste to ask for repayment from someone who always pays for you.  Someone who actually cares would feel bad and want to chip in whenever they can... even if it's just $2.  

And the car thing?  WTF would she say anything to her mom to begin with?  And why would her mom dock her pay for something someone else did?  And why would that mean you owe her when she is the one who opened her big mouth in the first place?  Sounds like a child... and also like this might be the wrong question to be asking.  It might be more appropriate to wonder "Why am i with this person?"

She's pretty much categorically in the wrong. 

Even if your entire post was just the car story, he still wouldn't owe her money. An apology though, sure. For the taboo, not the money. 

I think the fact her mother pays her to take her brother to school is essentially the root cause of her attitude to money, in the contexts you describe at least.