Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Why are DSLRs from 10 years ago still expensive?

anyone kind of ticked that Nikon keeps someone out with new cameras with minimal improvements and justifying hundreds of dollars in cost, when we all have 12MP cameras in our pockets?

I just want to buy a 2012 Nikon D3200 or something which should really be like 50 bucks and instead it's still not that much cheaper than the most recent D3700 or whatever

You can get a D3200 on ebay from around £100, depending on how much use it has had.

• P

They keep their models so confusing that your average person struggles telling the difference between the new models and the old ones.  As long as it's new in the box there's plenty of suckers who buy those old models for just a slight discount from the current model.   Nikon has just been milking it's name lately with many of their new models taking worse video\pictures than an iPhone.  Understand what you are buying.  You can't rely on Nikon or Canon making good cameras anymore. 

There are certain pieces of audio equipment that cost almost as much 

in terms of buying power now when they are fifty or more years old 

as they did when they were new. 

Why? Quality of construction, performance, and reliability.    

Cameras can hold their value even more easily than audio equipment can.    

If a particular model is highly desirable, 

its "going" price on the used market will be substantial.     

If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy anything.     

Otherwise, be ready to shell out like anyone else would.    

There is no D3700; A D3500 is around £350 new, a D7500 about £900

They are a lot! cheaper for older and secondhand models.

And the image results from a large lens, large-sensor camera, when properly used, are vastly better than those from any phone camera.

Even a good compact digital camera can make photos from a phone look bad in direct comparison.

I've done that, photos of the same scenes from the same point with both a high-end compact and a high-end phone, and the differences are very obvious.

I don't use my SLR very often (a D5300), but for some things nothing else will work as well as that does.

(But I still take ten times more photos with my phone than any other camera).

ps. And remember that once you have a decent SLR, to upgrade it you can generally keep the lenses and only upgrade the body; you do not have to buy the entire "kit" - and you can then get some of the cost back by selling the old camera body.

YOU, my friend, are very much mistaken with your assertion that we all have"12MP cameras in our pockets".

Nikon, just the same as any other camera manufacturer, continue to sell older cameras at a 'hefty price' to offset the cost of their Reaearch and Development.

• keerok

The technology that went into it is still valid. Photography doesn't change. The principles remain the same even when we were still using film. An old but fully working dSLR, in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer, will take beautiful pictures. Guaranteed. That's why an old dSLR is worth that much, even if secondhand. 

If you want a $50 dSLR, go ahead, buy one. There are some out there. Don't expect it to work flawlessly though. Then again why even waste 50 bucks when you already have that 12MP camera in your pocket?

• garry

in australia the sell second hand d3200 for AU$200  is about US$130 . thats all there worth . why pay to much for old electronics without a warranty , after all you pay $2,000 for a tv with only a year warranty ..

• Sumi

The industry is moving away from DSLRs to the more popular, and more importantly, more profitable (due to lower mfg costs) mirrorless cameras.  Nikon, for example, has announced that their current flagship D6 will be their last pro-level DSLR.

I would recommend that you start looking at mirrorless cameras instead of a DSLR.

Comparing a 12MP camera in your phone that costs $4 to a DSLR at even $50 is not a fair comparison.  It's akin to comparing a golf cart to a Lexus and complaining that the Lexus is so expensive when you've got a golf cart in your garage.  It's got four tires and seats four people just like a Lexus, right?  I'm sure you can see the absurdity of trying to compare a golf cart to a car.

Comparing a camera simply by the amount of megapixels in the sensor is not a good way of judging a camera.  Why?  Because the size of the pixel has an enormous effect on image quality.  The bigger the pixel, the wider the dynamic range and less noise will be produced.  The pixels in the D3200 are about 10x larger than what's in a smartphone.  THAT'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

What this size difference means is that the D3200 will have less noise at much higher ISO settings than a $1,000 iPhone X.  It also means that the images from the D3200 will have vastly larger dynamic range. 

Phones don't have interchangeable lenses and what lenses that they do have is not in the same league as those available for a DSLR/mirrorless camera.  I mean, how can you compare a $1 lens in a $4 camera to that of a DSLR lens?  You can't.  Not only in terms of image quality, but in control of the focus, zoom, aperture setting, etc...

You're giving up a lot for the convenience of having a small camera in your phone.  A phone simply can't do a lot of different types of photo that a DSLR/mirrorless can.  Photos of moving subjects is a prime example.  You can't zoom or change focal lengths.  Taking portraits with a smartphone results in ugly renditions of people because of the 28mm wide-angle lens in smartphones.  Take a look at this chart showing how ugly an otherwise attractive woman can be made to look when using a lens like that in your phone: http://www.stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdisto...

There's a reason why there are 100s of questions on this forum asking: "Why do I look so ugly in photos." The answer is that they're using the wrong focal length. The only solution is to buy a real camera instead of using their phones.

The D3200 is still very popular and that's why its used price is still relatively high, and certainly higher than $50.

• L

"Ticked"? Not at all - After all, you have a smartphone in your pocket, so a dSLR is unnecessary - your words, not mine. If I can't afford something I want, I get what I can afford, save until I can buy it or don't buy it... whatever "it" is.

For example, I'd like to have a new 4,000 square foot house on the beach in California, but I can't afford to pay $4million. We bought a 20 year old 2,200 square foot house a little inland that cost less than 1/4 the price of the beach house (and have no mortgage). But I am certainly not "ticked" and I would not expect the beach house to be made available to me for the same price because I thought I somehow deserved it.

If the dSLR has features you want/need, then that's what you are paying for. That is called "value pricing". Typically, a smartphone camera does not have a bayonet-interchangeable-mount lens system, manual controls are much more usable (focus, aperture, zoom, etc.) and it designed to be a camera for still images - not a phone that happens to have a camera stuffed into it.

Megapixel count is only one measure of a camera's potential image-capture "quality". Compare the physical size of the image sensor. The dSLR's will be LOTS bigger/better.

Try a pawn shop... Maybe not $50, but probably less than new.

Edit: I see that some imbecile doesn't understand the simple concept that we do NOT all have a mobile phone.  I pity that person's lack of intellect and/or understanding.