Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Are the tires I bought good for the time being?

I have a 2013 Honda CR-V with 122,000 miles on it. Car has needed a lot of maintenance and I’m trying to save on tires I need. I bought economy tires for a price of $80 per tire. Wondering if I should’ve paid for a better set or will these due the trick for the time being.

You don't say what brand, so it's difficult to comment. However, with cheapo tires they should still meet the minimum standards though you may find reduced life, reduced grip in extremis and more noise.  If they do the job for you though they'll be fine.

• garry

any tire that gives you 50,000 miles and handle good in the wet are fine . $80 each should be a good choice , if the where $50 each then you would be crazy or not afford to own a car . better tires and you pay for better road grip , better in the wet , different tire compounds and different speed ratings .

You already bought them, so live with what you have for the next 35,000-40,000 miles. We can't guess what they are without a brand name and size. They should be 225/R65/17. If you bought narrower tires, expect different adhesion. Shake them down to see for yourself how they handle, but don't do anything crazy like 50 mph left turns. Judge from your normal driving, how your car holds the road. I've seen poor quality tires seriously increase stopping distance, slide on wet roads and hydroplane easily.

I have been Buying Chinese Tyres  and in the past 20 years never had a Problem the ones on my VW are rated 120 MPH

top speed in Australia 110 Kph so used well within Tolerance

and about $30 cheaper than the Cheapest Branded Tyre

The price doesn't tell us much about the tires.

If you name the brand, and the rated mileage, we could be more helpful.

As a rule, if you buy new tires from a reputable manufacturer, they should be good for at least 40,000 miles.

• F

Your money.  Your life. I always buy decent tyres as I value my life at more than the £200 or so I could save with cheap tyres.

AlsoJ take the view it also works out cheaper than even a minor crash.

The wet braking distance of some cheap mainly Chinese tyres with named similar to premium brands, is frightening.

hey dummy...you don't tell us what make tire you bought.

"due the trick for the time being"  Will they last for years? Maybe as you drive 17000 miles a year.  If it is the kind of driving where you spin the tires accelerating, or skidding  or drifting around a corner then no, it won't last. No tire would.  It totally depends on the nut behind the steering wheel. Also that your tires are properly inflated and your wheel alignment is spot on.  They are good for grocery getting(come on, you know that is the kind of driving you do)

. Hell, I would not have spent that much money.  The junk yard is loaded with tires.  Find the ones that fit your vehicle with good tread and maybe pay $100 for 4...maybe still mounted on rims that fit your car and balanced...just pop the peckerss on.

• Anton

" ...  for the time being. "

AKA "So far, so good."

Cheap tires have less traction, will wear out quicker.

As long as you drive safely, don't don't speed in curves, look ahead so you don't need to panic stop; and planning no more than 40,000 miles out of the tires -- they are just fine.

How should we know? since you didn't even tell us what type of tires you purchased.

Are they the right size for the vehicle and the right type of tire for your driving conditions? If so then they'll be fine for a while.