How can I fit a 17 inch thick king size mattress up an L shaped stairway with a door? ?

I have an older house and the stairway has a door at the bottom of them. I cant fit my thick mattress up it without hitting the celing or stairs. 

• geezer

How big are your windows ?

.. and how far up do you need to go ?

Believe me, it's often easier to do it that way !

Cut it into manageable pieces then reassemble.

• L

Today's mattresses do have some 'bendability' to them...........therefore, bend it.  Or, trade if for a smaller mattress or use a downstairs bedroom.

Poor Planning on your part, sorry.

I'm amazed no one has said it, so here it is......... PIVOT!!

Put this in Mathematics as well.  It corresponds to a famous mathematical problem.

Sounds like you have a thick 'pillow-top' mattress. With a couple friends helping, you can get it  upstairs.  But stop! Do you also have a box spring on which that mattress is to be placed?  If you do, then make a decision; put the box spring in the garage or another place downstairs, as you are not going to get that thing squeezed through tight turns as you can with the mattress. Or, sell both as a set, and buy two of either twin or hotel twin mattresses and a box spring for each.  Then buy very thick  firm foam which you can put on the top of the mattresses  as one piece, and you will have a big comfortable bed. Before making the set up as I explained, either bolt if possible or use very strong wire to tie the frames firmly together if metal frames, but if wooden frames use heavy duty material strapping as used on dollies for moving refrigerators.  You can do it.   

let the air out of it, then blow it back up when you get it in place

WTF do you expect us to do. You are the one with the mattress and stairs.

Find two strong friends to try to squeeze it up the stairs.  I live in a tiny cottage and got my king size mattress stuck at the top of the stairs trying to do a 90 degree turn.  Luckily a friend happened to call by (I was stuck upstairs!).  The other person I was with let him in and between them, managed to get the mattress into the bedroom.  It shredded the sides on the stone walls.  Last year I replaced the mattress and made sure that the one I bought was rolled as I knew I could get that in without any help.