Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Should I give my second cat back?

I currently have a 2 year old male cat.  I adopted a 1 year old female a week ago.  She is well behaved, but she does not interact with me nor my male cat.  She is always hiding except when she eats.  Should I give her more time, or is her behavior likely to be consistent?

• Andrea

It's only been a week, you need to give her time. Cats don't do well with change, so she's likely still feeling some stress. I am fairly certain if you leave her to her own pace she will become adjusted and start to interact more with you. Just keep giving her attention, without forcing it on her either.

Also btw, when you have a resident cat already, you should try and be slow in the introduction process so they don't fight.

Keep/love that cat do your best to share your attention prevent jelousy.

Source(s): Ive slept outdoors and took in a cat while sleeping in a shed with them both, still got um, called her Meowtep.
  • Laura

It can take a cat months to get used to a new space when introduced correctly.  You didn't introduce this new cat to your house or other cat slowly, so its going to take her a lot of time to get used to you and the space she is in now.  Give her more time.  

That is normal behavior for a new cat, whether you have another cat or not.

Give them more time, and ease into the introduction.

They each know the other one is there, and need to know that they are not threatened by the other's presence.

You haven't stated whether either, or both, are neutered.

This will make a difference.

@Just read PR's respone; it is spot on.

That's common among cats. Don't expect them to get along, they don't. Your male kitty either thinks you are a kitty. Or, you're a servant. The female just wants to go home.

Give more time. Your new cat needs time to adjust to the new environment. I would recommend letting the new cat stay in hiding. This too will allow time for the resident cat to adjust to the new "invader". Over time, they will tolerate each other and exhibit  a relaxed posture. When the cats stop watching each other when one gets near, you'll know they both have acclimated to one another.

Yes, she needs a lot more time.  You shouldn't have ANY pets if that's your attitude though.  Sounds like you really don't know ANYTHING about cats and shouldn't have them.

• PR

It sounds like you have not introduced the cats properly, or the new can would not be "always hiding except when she eats". Cats are very oriented to routine and don't like change very much. Yes, two cats can get used to one another, but the introductions need to be done in a very specific manner. 

This means: Put new kitty in a separate room such as a bedroom, computer room, bathroom, etc with her litter box, food and water. If it is a room with glass doors, even better since the two cats can see one another through the glass. The new kitty is quite scared because:

-She is in a new house.

-She is likely missing her old owners.

-She does not know your current cat.

-She does not know if someone or something will jump out at her and harm her.

-She does not know you or your family.

The smaller area gives the new cat time to adjust to being in a new place. In a smaller area, she has less to contend with and will feel more in control; it is easier for her to learn what is around her and what is safe and unsafe. In this controlled area, should be less frightened and apprehensive. This also gives your old cat time to adjust to her scent and presence, and he will be much more likely to accept her.

It us usually best to keep the newcomer in the separate room for up to one month. By this time, she and the current cat should adjust to one another. At that point, you will know if they are getting along, and you can be more able to make the decision as to whether you can then progress in keeping her. 

If, of course, you just don't want to go through this and the place you got her from is willing to take her back, then you could do that, as well.

ALSO: BOTH CATS NEED TO BE NEUTERED OR SPAYED. If they are not altered, you will have all sorts of problems, and especially since many females will reject an unaltered male cat and feel very threatened; some will even attack the unaltered male cat if he advances without her "permission". 

AGAIN: You have unfortunately and unknowingly violated the "how to introduce two cats to one another" rule. You can now begin again and hope they will adjust properly.

It’s only been a week. She’s in a new place with a new family. How would you feel if you were a kid and adopted by a family. Wouldn’t you be a little shy or tentative. 

When I moved, my cat took some time to get used to his new surrounding. He was a little scared at first, hiding behind the couch or underneath the bed. Eventually, he figured out that it’s also his home so he started exploring more and more. 

• ?

That's normal. Give her more time to adjust.