Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

"I haven't showered today." Or  "I didn’t shower today."  Which one is commonly said?

Favorite Answer

Any self-respecting person would avoid using either of them. As someone already said, you can use 'yet' to imply that you intend to get a shower when you can.

Everything depends upon the context in which it is being said.   "I didn't get a shower today because the heating was out of action."

"I haven't showered today" means "yet."  You still have the opportunity.

"I didn't shower today" means the day is ending.  You'll have to shower tomorrow.

Kind of depends on the situation.  I haven't showered today suggests that you normally would, and that you might still, or you are explaining something else (like why your hair is a mess or you don't smell all that great).  I did not shower today is more of an assertion of truth. I did not. 

The usual reasons we chose I have not versus I did not, in effect.

Of the two, the second one would be the more common. The first one sounds a bit posh.

• User

Most common:

- I didn't take a shower today.