? asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

If large birds in the American wilderness kill and eat deer why do they not do this to lone humans out walking?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I think you are misunderstood here-

Large birds will NOT attack or kill a deer, the only time a rare attack might take place is a large bird (such as an eagle) on a fawn or seriously injured or ill deer. Other than that? Birds will not attack/kill a deer.

There are certain birds that will feast of off dead deer- Eagles espically are known to swoop in and feed on the carcus, this is done once a wolf or cougar is done feasting on a deer.

Birds do not see humans as prey, they just don't have that mentality! The only time a bird will get aggressive towards a human is if they get too close to the nest/eggs, and even then its a defensive posturing, more so than an offensive oriented one.

• wereq
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

There are documented cases off kids being attacked by birds of prey. Golden Eagles can kill deer, but they rarely try as they can find much easier meals. There's an extinct species that used to hunt humans. 

• 1 month ago

I don't know that any American raptor can kill deer.  In Eurasia, I believe, some can kill very young deer.  In theory they could do the same for a very small human child, but this is unlikely because they are not used to eating humans.  One might do it if it were starving.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Golden eagles are known to knock some large mammal off narrow mountain trail, off cliffs in Asia. They learned that it works. Other population of golden eagle do not exhibit the same behavior. There is one newspaper report of a bald eagle attacking a child but was apparently unsuccessful. it may be because humans do not usually walk along mountain trails next to a cliff. Further, the populations of eagles and hawks were decimated over the years by hunting and DDT. Therefore there is fewer of them around to potentially harm people even if they want to do it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • James
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Humans aren't much like their regular prey in the New World.  We're bigger and have an upright stance.  We're pretty solidly built too and could probably fend off an attack from an eagle.

Even so, I do not recommend:

"free solo" rock climbing when golden eagles are around.  The eagle could try to make you fall.  That works often enough with deer and goats that you can find videos of it.

• We taste horrible.  (Answering for a friend)

• User
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

>> If large birds in the American wilderness kill and eat deer <<

As far as I know, that doesn't happen.

There *are* birds that hunt humans

- namely: cassowaries

but they are not native to the Americas.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.