Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

I'm Catholic, but I've never read a Bible in my life. Is this a shame?

Don't worry.

99% of Christians have never read a bible.

The you are NOT Catholic.  That's like saying that you are Catholic but believe abortion is ok.

There only one sin in life, not know the truth or not try to know the truth.

Not necessarily because there are people out there who have read the Bible and still do horrible things to other human beings. 

King James Version Bible 1885

1 Timothy Chapter 6

12. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

John Chapter 1

1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Romans Chapter 10

17. So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Hebrews Chapter 11

1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

1 John Chapter 4

12. No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

John Chapter 8

31. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed;

32. And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

2 Timothy Chapter 4

7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Nah, the church could care less about any member reading the bible.  Have you noticed the little books called missile placed on the back of pews.  The church prints those out each year, and that is all that is used in a Catholic church.  Even the priests just read from the missiles. 

It actually is a shame. When the Bible is one of the most available books on the market, you are relying on the interpretation of others to tell you what it says, and what is means. Having gone to a Catholic High School, after attending my Parish's Grade School, I understand the weight and the authority that the priesthood holds over the R.C. Church members. But studying Acts in my junior year in Religion Class, awakened my interest in God's Word. The depths of it go far beyond what you will ever learn at Mass. 

Reading the Bible made me the atheist I am today, so ... go for it!

• Paul

If you attend Mass regularly, you hear almost the whole Bible read to you every couple of years. And if you don't attend Mass, why do you call yourself Catholic?

• Steven

Let me ask you a question. Does catholic that you have been taught by tell you that you don't need to be baptized by the Holy Spirit? If so then you should read the bible because it does.