Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

If I have cancer, can I refuse treatment?

Even if Drs think the prognosis is good and odds of survival with treatment is high, can I refuse treatment and oot for paliative care instead?

It doesn't matter what anyone "thinks" I should.   I don't want to spend months feeling sick and weak on chemo, and I don't really have any desire to live either, so letting illness take me is just natural.

• ron h

I'm pretty sure that you can refuse treatment. You won't get palliative care until you actually need pain relief. you'll need to write out a "living will" per your state's laws so that doctors will have IN WRITING what you want.  Without that, you may get treatment that you don't want if you can't speak to refuse.  And if you've got family you need to be sure that they understand what you want.  

Then I wish you a very slow and painful death so you can really enjoy it.

None of us would dream of giving you any advice. Good luck with it.

If you are an adult in full command of their faculties then you can refuse any treatment you choose.

I am certainly glad I did not refuse the treatment of my cancer 16 years ago. Or the treatment of my unrelated cancer diagnosed last August. I am already well on the way to full recovery.

Yes you can refuse treatment.

You are using a hypothetical which means you don't have cancer. You are using the hypothetical to reveal a depressive state which means you want to be dead and have nothing to live for. This is consistent with depression. It's like saying if you get hit by a car then don't take me to the hospital because you want to die. Forget about the ridiculous hypothetical you have because that isn't the real problem. The real problem is the psychopathology that you are confronted with. That needs to be treated. Depression needs to be treated. Sorry but I won't discuss a ridiculous hypothetical when you have a psychological problem. 

• Audrey

Yes, but I don't think you should.

• kelvin

of course you can as doctors can't force you to do it there way