VPN? Would a forum moderator know I am behind a VPN?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

At the two places I've moderated, it wasn't the VPN that revealed banned members who had rejoined. Most had telltale behaviors, ways of phrasing things, misspellings or grammatical quirks, particular interests, and a host of other things that made me 100% positive someone was back who we hoped never to see again.

• 2 months ago

If you are using a VPN then there are very few chances that the moderator came to know about your real IP address or your proxy server. As people tend to use VPN when they are blocked on a forum etc. However, some websites have lists of IP addresses of public VPN services and proxy servers, so they block access to users connecting through them.

• 2 months ago

It depends on the forum and what information the moderator group has access to. If they have the ability to look up a member's IP address, they can certainly see if you are using a VPN.

• i + i
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Basically, no, they would see the IP 

of the VPN, not yours. BUT, there are 

compiled lists of VPN IPs, so they will 

sometimes be able to tell if your are 

"behind" one. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

There are services that compile blacklists of abusive and potentially abusive IP addresses, such as VPNs, proxies, bots, hacked servers, spam senders, and so on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.