Why do I pull off my nails?

I don’t mean fully off, but on my fingers down extremely short, and on my toes I rip half of them off. They bleed when I do this and sometimes I even pull my fingernails in public which doesn’t look well. I don’t like when I do this but continue to do it? Is there a reason why I keep doing this? I haven’t cut my nails properly in years! (Has been a problem for a couple of years now).

I used to never take the time to get out the nail trimmer and do it 'properly", up until a few years ago. Go get yourself a good kit and try your damnedest to make it a part of your routine to keep your nails trimmed. I still catch myself from time to time trying to rip a nail, usually when I'm nervous or bored. Its a tough habit to break. Good luck.

It's a habit of yours, maybe a self-soothing habit?. Stop doing that and just clip your nails with a nail clipper, when they get too long but pulling them off is not good for your nails. Maybe look into seeing a therapist and have the problem fixed. 

See a shrink!!! OUCH!!!!! Made me cringe reading it!!! get nail clippers/trimmer cut back SLIGHTLY!!!! OMG dear lord Jesus!!!!