? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

If you were drafted in the military in the 60s when you went to basic could you flunk and be difficult to avoid going to vietnam?

and be told to go home 

Say you failed on purpose. Dropping you gun. Loading the bullets in backwards. Shooting the gun on purpose off target. Tripping and falling. Complaining and refusing to wear the uniform saying its itchy too tight to baggy . complaining about the food .  whatever they told you to do you you did wrong 

Favorite Answer

LMFAO!!!1 

I never thought of that but I guess one could try, Loading the bullets in backwords LMAO!!!!

ISN'T IT LIKELY THAT THE DEMOCRATS WILL HAVE MONETIZE THE DEBT IN ORDER TO GET ENOUGH FUNDS TO PAY FOR THEIR AGENDA

All that would do is make you a NON-Qualifier that NOBODY would want around them as you're of no use. And if you pitch a fit and whine they'd send you to ''motivation platoon'' where you dig a bucket of sand and carry it to the other end of a football field and pour it out and fill it with sand at that end to deliver back to the origination point, ALL DAY. They find ways to motivate. And you went to Vietnam anyway. Skills may keep you alive. Think about it. Also, if you screw up and get everyone punished, you face a blanket party where they put a blanket over your head and knock sense into you by your PEERS. Ever feel ALONE? That would be what you are at that point. Conform, or suffer consequences.

Nope you were sent over in the morning you can not flunk being a target.

In those days, it was either pass and go where ever or the stockade (jail). Then it would be pass or prison. As others have written, not everybody went to Viet Nam.

I'm VN draft age and served in another service. I only knew one guy who went to VN and he was in the AF. Others in the Army went to Germany, Korea, Japan or in the US.

If you failed on purpose, you would have been sent to military prison, not home.

Note: It is physically impossible to load the ammunition backwards.

No. No one is too f'd up for the infantry. Stupidity is a plus.

Fat chance

There's videos on youtube about "McNamara's morons"

In today's world, most militaries consist of professionals who would not accept their ranks being replenished with people who neither wish nor have what it takes to be in a fighting force

No. Oh, there were guys that said that. But, I did every test to the best of my ability. I scored 95 on my written exam at the induction center. Then, at rifle training, I did not miss a shot. And, I improved. Everyone said that they would make me a sniper. I wasn't. I spent two years in Idaho & one year in Germany. And, I made sergeant! LOL

Don't think so. Your sargeant would just give you the worst jobs, like cleaning the **** in the foxholes or carrying dead bodies or something.