Ashley asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

My cat has some kind of skin problem and no vets/specialist can seem to figure it out? Pics ?

So my cat creature has been having skin problems for over a year now. We’ve taken him to 3 different vets but no one can seem to diagnose him or even seem to be treating him for the right thing.

The only thing that has showed him any sort of relief is a steroid injection called Depo Medrol.

He’s been getting it once every 4-5 weeks for like 7 months now and have pretty much completely eliminated his rash/sores he was having on his two front legs. However The last couple of times it seems like his symptoms are coming back quicker.He seems to get itchy, which turns into him excessively licking what appears to be a rash, they almost look like little open sores (pic attached)They wanted to put him under and take a sample to the lab but they said even that test could come back inconclusive and my vet keeps telling me how hard it is to diagnose a skin condition in animals. All that’s aside, they also told me it could be portentously dangerous because he’s overweight (he’s 26.5 pounds)I’ve taken him to 3 different vets and no one can figure it out and i just want to know what it is so I can get him the right medicine he needs! Does anyone recognize this or by some last ditch effort maybe someone else has gone through this with their cat and can help me?!?Attached is a photo of his front arm? Leg?currently, it has been about 3 weeks since his last steroid injection (we try to push it off for as long as possible without him being too itchy and uncomfortable)

Skin disorders are notoriously hard to diagnose, but I have had some success treating them.  One thing I recommend is giving the cat cod liver oil daily - maybe a teaspoon daily.  Usually they love it.  Or better yet, go to a health food store and get a high quality essential fatty acids source - the really good ones are refrigerated. 

Also you can get some Solarcaine spray - it's a local anesthetic sold for sunburn - or another brand is fine, with Lidocaine in it.  By spraying it on the irritation, it doesn't itch and the cat is likely to leave it alone and let it heal..  

have his 

thyroid checked.....

He's biting his skin. I suspect a yeast infection. Try treating with Apple Cider Vinegar. Twice a Day. If that works, then ask a vet for a medicated skin cream.