Is it pretty bad that a guy in a wheelchair was out in public alone?

I saw him at the grocery store and I was like "where is his nurse?"

Many wheelchair users are capable of navigating the world without an aid, including those who would benefit from an aid. Aids are expensive and finding one who sees the wheelchair user as a person can be difficult.

• Ann

There are wheelchair users who are independent enough to transport themselves in a modified vehicle to go out in public.  There is a gentleman in my neighborhood who charges up his electric wheelchair and drives himself to a nearly grocery store once a week.  He doesn't use a vehicle, because his chair is his transportation.  The store hooks his groceries in bags on the back of his chair, and he makes his way home.  In bad weather, he wraps up in a poncho or heavy coat.  The groceries get covered in plastic bags he carries with him. He has flashers rigged up on the back of his chair, and he has two tall red flags on the sides to let let motorists know he's there.  It's pretty amazing.

A lot of wheelchairers are plenty effective on their own

No. Many people in wheelchairs can take care of themselves without a nurse. 

Not really.  When I was in a wheelchair, I would go out of the hospital by myself just to get some fresh air.  Many people do that. 

You are making an assumption that would appall people with physical limitations. Many wheelchair patients are self-sufficient and take pride in being able to care for themselves and lead normal lives. Instead of questioning their capabilities, celebrate their initative and courage.

Most wheelchair users can do things independently without caregivers and especially not nurses.