Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 2 months ago

Did you know the city of Charleston is giving out $100 fines for people walking down the street with no mask on?

Sad to say,it's not a tourist friendly place to go any more.

If you ever wondered how those fascist or communist leaders come into power with crowds cheering and saluting them on, just read the answers to my question above.  

• Kate

They are absolutely doing the right thing. Why should anyone be put at risk from those that may be infected.

"it's not a tourist friendly place to go any more"

The opposite seems more true.

If they what you to wear a mask [which isn't designed to protect you but instead stops you from spewing] that means they don't want their citizens spewing droplets on each other.

That is is as legit as it is a place that cares.

Yes, the $100 is for the first offense it goes to $200 the second time and then to $500. It's nice to see a government serious about combating the virus.

• RICK

Wish my cities officials were that smart

I am not sure; so hum a few bars and I will fake it.

• John

We'll just have to start calling you "Typhoid Star", won't we?

It's the stupid people like you who have caused 300.000+ deaths.

The right of the health department to take whatever steps are necessary to protect the public health is absolute. If it comes to locking people like you in jail to prevent contact then they might, they can, and they will. This has gone to the Supreme Court and more.

The only thing not "tourist friendly" about that is that it is too light a punishment and many tourists will die because they were exposed to someone with COVID who didn't wear a mask because the punishment was only a $100.  Keeping tourists safe is "tourist friendly".  Letting them die is not.

If that is where you live, I am so sorry that your city cares about its people and is trying to stop local healthcare getting more overstretched than it already is.  If I were you, I would try to move somewhere else that doesn't care if you contract or pass on covid.