Do you need a smartphone now to visit Disney World?

When I lived in Florida in the 80's and 90's, we just drove there, bought tickets and went on the rides.

But now I've heard you can only buy tickets online and that you need a smart phone to be alerted whenever it's your turn to ride the attraction you're waiting for.

I thought this was called Smart Pass, or something like that, which you could use if you wanted. And this was being used before the pandemic.

My husband and I only have a flip phone, which we only use for emergencies. We're not interested in getting a smartphone at all.

We planned on taking a trip back to Florida and going to Disney World while we were there.

Would we really need to use smart phone to go to Disney World? Can you not buy tickets at the gate anymore?

I suppose we could borrow a smart phone from a family member if we needed to. 

We're lucky enough not to have kids (been married 10 years!) so we're looking forward to having a good time, but don't want to be disappointed if we drive all the way there just to find out we can't even go in just because we don't have a smart phone. 

Thanks. 

• drip
    Favorite Answer

Right now and for the unseeable future you can not buy tickets at the gates. Try calling the Disney 800 customer service number. You can buy tickets and they can walk you through how to manage without a smart phone. 

Get facts direct from Disney 

My friends were there the end of November. Many things were closed. Including some rides, restaurants and stores in the parks. Make sure you know what will or will not be open. 

• Cogito

Technically, you don't need one - but it would make it really difficult.  You wouldn't be able to get Fastpasses as easily, and without them, you'll be lucky to get on any ride without a wait of one, two, three hours.

You'd also have to stand in line for all your food, whereas if you have a smartphone you can order it and then just walk up and collect it.So yes, you could manage without one, but why do so?  You can get a cheap, second-hand one easily and just get a pay-as-you go contract.  Having one makes like SO much easier.  They aren't difficult to use.  My mother was using hers until she died a couple of years ago at the age of 87!

While a smartphone is necessary to use the My Disney Experience app, it is not necessary to use MyMagic+. Guests can pre-book their FastPass+ experiences from home or on kiosks set-up within the parks. Kiosks are located throughout the Magic Kingdom, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom. One thing we noticed in Epcot is that the first FastPass+ kiosk in the park always had the longest lines–try going to one further in the park for shorter lines if you need to use the in-park kiosks. However, we highly recommend advance booking of FastPass+.

See this Disney World Tourist Blog:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/mymagic-plus-faq...