? asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

I am deciding whether to coat my natural stone for my fence?

this is after coating (wet look and darker). I cant seem to upload 2 pictures here in YA. but, without coating is like lighter in color.

I am not asking what I should like. Here is the thing, I like the uncoated look but that is the stone is not coated, it is not protected, that is why I am asking.

Favorite Answer

Leave nature alone.  It is what it is and it will change back from whatever you do.

Anonymous is right. It's natural  stone no need to seal it.  Don't listen to the guy that calls himself (?) 

Nothing. especially water is going  to hurt the grout . 

That's a  Beautiful wall  no need to coat it.

• A

I would coat it in a satin or matte finish sealer, it will keep water from damaging the grout and bring out the color in the stones

I really hate the freakish and unnatural shine of coated stone. Even when it's real stone under there, it looks fake.

Your mortar should last thirty or forty years at least. (My kid owns a brick house built in 1896. No coating.) There's no reason to coat the stone structure. The stone needs no protection and the mortar done right will outlive you.

If it is coated it won't be exactly natural.

are you asking us what you should like?

its stone, what does it need to be protected from?