Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Who is the best band of the 90s?

For most decades it's pretty simple but the 90s was all over the place.

At the beginning of the decade there were still 80s metal bands releasing big albums like Metallica (black) and GNR (Use Your Illusion). You also had "pre-grunge" bands like Alice in Chains and Pantera.

Then Nirvana changed everything but didn't last long. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden followed.

In the mid 90s everything split off in different directions. You had

Rap/rock/nu metal- bands like Rage, Korn and Limp Bizkit

Ska- Sublime, No Doubt

Poppy rock- thousands of generic bands like Radiohead, U2

Metal- Slipknot

Pop/punk- Green Day

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Nirvana        

• Shiloh
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Guns n' Roses -  Yeah!  

• mars
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Wilco..........

• 1 month ago

Mine was the low rockers Morphine. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The Spice Girls

• 1 month ago

That's a tough one, because (like you said) there was so much splitting rock into subgenres in the 90's.  That's the decade where hair metal finally died, grunge made a brief appearance, thrash started becoming mainstream and punk made a bit of a comeback.  And through it all, bands who existed in previous decades (Aerosmith, Metallica, U2, Ozzy, etc) also had success.

I don't think anyone could narrow it down to just one band, unless you go with Nirvana.  They weren't the first or the best at what they did, they just released the right stuff at the exact right time, and they're the band that everyone thinks of when they think of the 90's.  

Every decade has a band or two that defines or personifies that decade's rock, and the defining band usually isn't the best in the business.  In the 50's it was Elvis, the 60's had the Beatles, the 70's had Led Zeppelin, the 80's had Motley Crue, and the 90's had Nirvana.  

• 1 month ago

Favs of the 90's

Frank Black (& The Catholics) (Alternative Rock)

Hypocrisy (Metal)

Jughead's Revenge (Punk)

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (Ska)

Oysterband (Folk Rock)

Velvet Acid Christ (Industrial/EBM)

• 1 month ago

My favorite 90s band is Nine Inch Nails. My other favorites are The Flaming Lips, Hole, Garbage, Sonic Youth, and Rage Against the Machine.

• 1 month ago

Excellent write-up mate.

My vote would be You Am I.

• hung
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

to be honest, i lost interest in music in the mid 90s. i only listen to late 60s to mid 80s stuff. loved the 70s and 80s 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.