? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

How does an NCO become an officer?

Hello, my dad was a Pvt. in the 6th ID during the Korean War("Police Action")but when it was learned that he was a Ships Engineer he was shipped off to the Navy with a commission. Would have had to attend Officers Candidates School? Would he have had to attend Navy Recruit Training? Would he have received his commission after Navy boot camp? I am wondering how it worked back in the early 1950s and how it works now?

Thank you.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Your Dad was given a "Mustang" commission because they needed a qualified officer for a certain job right now.  Most likely he spent a couple of weeks with other "Mustangs" getting uniforms and basic information.  That was done commonly in times of war only.  My little cousin was a lowly private in Vietnam.  He quickly became a Mustang Captain when he repeatedly led others on missions killing hundreds of the enemy.  George Washington commonly appointed Mustangs during the Revolution.  So did Grant and Lee in the Civil War.

• 2 months ago

ISN'T IT LIKELY THAT THE DEMOCRATS WILL HAVE MONETIZE THE DEBT IN ORDER TO GET ENOUGH FUNDS TO PAY FOR THEIR AGENDA

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not enough information was given and the people who would know the policies during the Korean War are probably way too old to be on-line or to even remember what the details were during those days.

My take on what you listed: if he was actually in the US Army and he had gone as far as going through Basic Training and being assigned to the 6th Infantry Division at Fort Ord, CA which was a training division, it could be possible that his background and qualifications as a civilian maritime ship's engineer might have been recognized and he was released from the US Army contingent on him joining the US Navy.

Once in the Navy, he could have been given a Chief Warrant Officer appointment. Or offered a Limited Duty Officer (LDO) direct commission as an Engineering Officer.

Source(s): Retired from another service. Served from 62 to 85.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

In Australia when i served as soon as you made Sgt you were Offered a commission and one of my Sgts did the last time i saw him he was an Air Commodore a One star.

3 thumbs down you never served in the RAAF or to be Honest you never served

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your story has a few holes in it.  First off the Army would have never sent him to the Navy. That does not happen. What could have took place was at the end of his Army Enlistment he was recommend for a Commission in the Navy.  Based on prior experience as a ships engineer he would not have had to go to OCS.  But just received a direct commission. Navy Recruit Training (Boot Camp) is only for Enlisted, not Officers.

• 2 months ago

--  Ordinary soldiers, whether privates or NCO's may become officers if they are recognized as being considered by their commanders to be potentially excellent soldiers. They are then recommended to "Officer Training School" and when they pass, become 2nd Lieutenants.

++  During war-time, some NCO's are considered good leaders and because of a shortage of officers, are given a "battle-field commission'. As an example, the WW-2 MOH winner, Audie Murphy, quickly rose through the ranks during the fighting in Italy, and was given a battle-field commission. He was then wounded and awarded the MOH for his actions.

--  I am unsure about the US military, but certainly in the Australian army, a soldier who has risen through the ranks to become a "Warrant Officer-1" (Regimental Sergeant Major), after many years in that rank, can be promoted a Major until he retires.

@ Armourer --  A sergeant is three ranks below a  WO-1, which is the rank a soldier needs to have been for a number of years before being promoted directly to Major.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not even possible. Under zero circumstances would that have happened 

• 2 months ago

i would ask your dad about it

• 2 months ago

when it was learned that he was a Ships Engineer

That is a BOLD FACED LIE.

1. A private IS NOT an NCO.

2. Ship's Engineer is a POSTING in the Navy.

• Chess
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

they get a GED?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.