Sassy
Sassy asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Can a cat be mircochip with 2 different names and numbers?

My ex boyfriend and I share a cat. Right now the cat's mircochip is in my ex boyfriend's name and number. Our cat lives with me. Can the chip have both of our names and cellphone numbers? 

My ex boyfriend and I are friends. Just saying. 

To user Angel: I know that my ex boyfriend's name and number is on the microchip but I wanted to know if there can be 2 names and 2 different numbers on the microchip.

I take care of the cat. I buy the food and litter for the cat. 

The reason why my ex boyfriend's name is still on the mircochip is because we both own the cat and I don't drive so if the cat got lost my ex could go get the cat. 

• Maxi

No, you will have to get bf to sign the 'chip paperwork', then pay and send it in and have your name/address put on it...so it is a change of owner

• Laura

No.  You have to decide who's information is going on the chip.  This is the person who legally owns the animal.  

Who is the one taking the cat to the vet every year?  Who is the one who is paying for daily expenses, like food treats and litter?  Who is the one actively caring for the cat?  This is the person who should have their information on the cat's chip, and should be the legal owner of the cat.  

That would be the call of the chip company. You need to call and ask them.

• Angel

If your not sure the name of the microchip facility that supports your cats chip, give the vet a call and see which company they use.

Eat call the company and update the contact info.  You might not be able to change the owner info or possibly add your name to it (we have never had that problem) ask them to add you as a second or emergency contact. They should do that with out trouble.

Besides the company name and number you will need the cats chip number from the vet.

You can update your contact details by contacting the pet microchip registry your pet is enrolled with. Visit the company's website for information on updating your pet's record online, or to get the telephone number to call.

i dont see why not