Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

Embarrassed by crutches... how to not be?

Hello! I have been using crutches for a month and a half mostly at home I have a knee and ankle sprain. The problem is when I’m out in public I’m embarrassed to use crutches! I have an ankle compression wrap and don’t wear my knee brace anymore i feel silly using crutches because I’m not wearing a brace. Also when I beat weight on my foot my leg starts to hurt that’s why I’ve been using crutches. I see my doctor in Monday but are people going to think I’m silly if I don’t have a brace in with my crutches or how can I just not care about being judged! Also it’s hard to carry and fill out paperwork when I need both arms to use my crutches

actually i didn't use the right words i mean, i dont want people staring at me, without my crutches i have a limp but sometimes the pain is bad i HAVE to stop walking mid walk.. so this is why I've been at home mostly. Also its more of social anxiety I'm self conscious i dont want people staring its not that i think I'm important i just dont feel like I'm good at using crutches and worry about people watching me struggle with them

Having been on crutches for several months after a hip replacement surgery, no one cares about you or your crutches and if you are not following your doctors instructions you will care deeply in the years to come.  Feel silly if you want to but it is immature.

I don't think people actually care about how you look as they are busy living their own lives. Now maybe if your zipper was down and your member hanging out, that would be out of the ordinary and cause to stare. Maybe you could distract yourself by wearing one of those visors like Toby on StarTrek. Alternately, you could peep into a Kaleidoscope while you're limping along.   

• L

Just use your crutches and ignore everyone else.  If you're supposed to use the compression wrap and wear a knee brace - do it.  Nothing will improve if you ignore what you're supposed to be doing.

So i was on crutches for a few months after a month in wheel chair.

BTW it is not hard to handle paper work. Ever use the crutch and arm to pinch/hold the folder. Or get a backpack. And ye you can use crutches and a sling bag or back pack.

Do people actually use common sense or know how to think or themselves anymore? And they wonder why the country is in the shape it is in.

School do not teach HOW t think like they used to. They only teach WHAT to think and NOT TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

BTW WHO CARES. Just go abt your business. If they ask or help that different. Otherwise just go on your business. Everybody else in the adult world does just that.

Personally i see if someone like you needs a hand i they are struggling. Other than that I go on my business and they go on theirs.

i had an appt with the pain specialist and her assistant was such a snotty snobby lady... she walked ahead of me and wouldn't even wait for me to catch up on my crutches... stupid lady!

• Tavy

The world does not revolve around you, no one cares, people are wearing masks and trying not to catch Covid. You are not that special that anyone thinks twice when you pass by. 

• Andy C

No one questions the validity of people who are using crutches. 

No.

In fact no one notices or cares, except you.

But feel free to use the brace, if you think it would make you less self conscious.

Yes, crutches are very hard to use.

I'm surprised you haven't been using a boot.

Talk to your doctor about transitioning to one.

How not to be? Well, have you ever looked at someone who's injured themselves and ended up on crutches for a while and thought, "Ugh, how stupid do they look?!" No, you haven't. Nobody's doing that to you, either. You just need to realize that and quit thinking that you're so important that everyone's looking at you and obsessing over you. You're not that important. Most people you go by, they barely notice you if they even notice you at all. That's because they've all got their own crap going on that they're thinking about.