Tyler asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Do animals attack humans unprovoked?

I am curious about this as I heard often of devastating attacks from wild animals. I can see predators (such as crocodiles, lions, etc) hunting humans for food, but what about creatures like bears or moose? I live in Canada and was told that if you see a moose you should run the other way.

You may not know that you are provoking them.  If they have babies, they may attack even if you haven't seen a baby.  I saw a video of a man being attacked by a male moose.  He lowered his head thinking this would look non-threatening, but the moose interpreted this as the challenge of another bull. Also, a very big animal may injure or kill you while only intending to drive you away.  Polar bears are carnivorous, so they might actually see you as prey.  Grizzlies and black bears are mostly herbivorous, but they might argue with you about food.  Black bears are more aggressive, but grizzlies are more dangerous due to their size.  Deer also can be aggressive, whether bucks or does with babies. 

Running away might work with a moose, because that tells the moose that he won, and that's all he wants.  But that isn't a good idea with bears, coyotes, or mountain lions.  

• D g

what do you mean unprovoked for you it may seem harmless but  to the animal you may look dangerous and he might try to defend himself    like a beaver might run at you and  take a bit out of you 

if an animal is  trapped or   a baby  is  between you and momma  thats all it takes 

• ?

Most animals in Canada will NOT attack a human unprovoked! The only large scale animal who will hunt humans for food are polar bears, and that is usually done when their food supply is scarce.

Grizzly Bears will attack and kill humans if a human a) gets too close to their cubs b) startles a bear in the wild c) is a threat to the bears food source. Generally speaking, grizzlies will leave a human alone.

Black bears are the most timid creatures out there and rarely attack a human, and any attacks are defensive in nature, rather than offensive. Black bears are fearful of humans and will run, not walk the other direction.

Moose are unpredictable creatures! A moose will easily turn on a human, if they are frustrated, by that I mean if a moose is running from prey, and it encounters a human, the human is taking the brunt force of the mooses aggression. Also, bull moose when sexually frustrated, will become highly aggressive if they were to ever encounter a human! Run from a moose? Stupid idea! Moose can run upwards of 60km/hour vs a human who's top speed would be maybe 10k, who do you think would win that fight? Thinking cap needs to go on.

• ?

only if provoked or for food ..

No, animals don't. Only humans attack humans unprovoked. 

NO THEY DONT. There is always a reason any animal may attack a human, and the root motive is survival.

Hungry enough, that could provoke an attack. Mostly predators come in this scenario.

"Feeling threatened". Animals don't know human intentions and there is no trust. Close enough, that could provoke a defensive attack, this applies to most animals, even some domesticated animals.

Yea, moose and bears can be set off defensively getting too close. usually, they try to avoid humans.

Fishing one day, a black bear cub came up behind me, sniffing me, checking me out, maybe wanting some attention. Young enough, they have not yet developed a fear of humans. I gave it one of my fish, he/she really liked that, and MAMA was about 30 yards off intently watching with protecting her cub on her mind. I waved my arm and said 'SCAT' and the cub went to mama and they both took off the other way. Had that cub yelped, mama would have aggressively attacked and done a lot of damage. Best bet,,LEAVE THE BEAR CUBS ALONE.

And never underestimate a moose, they can do serious harm to humans.

The hippo is considered to be extremely aggressive and has frequently been reported charging and attacking boats. Small boats can easily be capsized by hippos and passengers can be injured or killed by the animals or drown. In one 2014 case in Niger, a boat was capsized by a hippo and 13 people were killed. The hippopotamus is the world's deadliest large land mammal, killing an estimated 500 people per year in Africa.

No, but you might not agree that it was a provocation. Sometimes just walking close to the animal provokes it. Sometimes, invading its territory does.

As far as running away goes, do you really think that you could outrun a moose? In general, the best thing to do is to back away slowly.

• ?

Depends on what your animal is and what you mean by "provoked."

I thought walking around in my front yard wasn't a provocation.

A hummingbird thought it was.

• ?

They can, but it's not very often. Usually if you're being attacked, it's for a reason.