Z asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

I was sent something that says VA disability compensation begins 3-6 months after retirement. Does that mean after medically retiring...?

... I wont get paid for 3-6 months? I would ask professionals but its saturday.

VA disability is not tied to retirement.   You can get a VA rating even if you only served a year.  You have to file for a VA disability rating.   The DATE that you do it is the date they will use when they eventually allow a rating.    If you retired with 20 years of service time AND get a VA rating over 40% you should get both payments.    If you medically retired with less than 20 years (Chapter 61)   then you lose retired pay when you get VA payments.    

you know you have to apply for disabilty, its not automatic

if you retired, then you should start getting retirment pay the next month-- unless you retirfed from the giard or rfeserves

• Mrsjvb

Processing time does indeed take that long for VA disability claims. It is backdated

It can take that long to be processed and start being paid. It will be back dated to the date you were eligible for it. That’s actually pretty good for time, I know of some it has take 18-24 months to go through.