Moses asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 2 months ago

Why does Louisiana get deep snow of 3-4 inches every 8-10 years?

1-2 inches is more common, once every 2 to 3 years. When "no snow at all" years happen, 1 or 2 sleet days can be expected out of the whole winter.

Everyone living in the north USA with guaranteed snow every winter is super ultra very lucky. 3-4 inches is DEEP SNOW to me and I get really very happy super excited but worry about power outages.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Thesolar activity cycle has an average 11 year cycle is one reason. Usually it is Baton Rouge and North that MIGHT get 1 to 2 inches of snow in a year. New Orleans is more like 1 or 2 inches every 15 to 20 years.

HOWEVER, with global warming, the extremes are becoming more common. I've seen more snow and ice in central Oklahoma this winter than since?1998. The city is STILL picking up tree limbs from the ice storm on October 25 26. Fortunately the last snow fall in Norman did NOT have freezing rain and was light and fluffy, not wet, heavy and sticky. 

Last winter 2019 was bad for New Orleans.