Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Go to the ER for tooth pain?

I seem to have a tooth infected its a molar and its been 3 days now 

I have sever pain in my jaw, temple, cheek none and neck sometimes I feel it throb on the opposite cheek none for a split second 

I've been downing 400mg of ibuprofen every few hours the last 3 days (I only weigh about 110) but it feels like it never even attempts to try to help the pain

Its now 3:30 am the pain has woken me up im considering the ER 

Advice? 

Ear* not none 

Opposite cheek bone* why didn't I proof read 🤦🏻

I could care less about exposing myself to covid ive also just bought a dental plan but it doesnt go into affect until the 1st 

only the dentist can help you. unless the ER in your area has dentist. doctors are not trained to give injections orally.

If you live in the United States first go see a doctor or low cost clinic because you have to get some antibiotics first to stop the infection before they pull it or it could make you really sick. Be careful or this infection could go to your heart and kill you. 

it should be "I couldn't care less". See a dentist; ER can't help you

Your family Doctor can give you antibiotics, you won't be welcome at ER in this pandemic.

• L

You need to get in to see a dentist - NOW!  If you wait too long........................your teeth can become severely infected and full of puss..........then it is a huge emergency.

• kelvin

not a case for the emergency room but you should go too urgent care

Most folks know they have bad teeth, and when it becomes painful, they decide it is now an emergency.

Things you can do, while waiting to see your dentist next week, would be obtain Eugenol (clove oil) from Walgreens, CVS etc.. Take Ibuprofen, 600 to 800 mg. every 6 hours. You can use Tylenol in between, if needed for break thru pain.

ER use is supposed to be for true emergencies, not for issues known about and neglected by choice.

Remember, you can see almost any dentist for this. You will need to work out a payment plan.

Just a guess.....you do not have health insurance and plan on getting "free" care, via welfare, (medicaid) or just not paying for your care!

• Tavy

If there is any infection, they will give you an antibiotic.  

Considering all the issues with addictive pain medications, it is not very likely that you will get a "good" pain killer, but they MIGHT give you a one time shot to settle the pain temporarily.

They will recommend that you go see a dentist.

They will not do anything that actually solves the problem.

It is really worth getting exposed to COVID for this toothache that you have put up with for the last three days instead of contacting a dentist on day one.

I couldn't cope that long with that pain. Go, it's obviously not going to improve.